Question Did I ruin my Laptop? How do I check?

aronbchek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2017
I just got a HP Pavillion x360. It had start up problems. It would show the HP logo screen then it would just remain black. I googled it and it suggested to remove the battery. I did that but I put the battery back in and it won't turn on and it won't charge. The light to show that it is charging doesn't go on. I had the charger plugged in when I removed the battery. I assume I messed up. What do I need to replace or do to fix this? How do I check what is the culprit?

aronbchek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2017
Can you just RMA the whole thing if you've only just got it?
Just removing the battery whilst plugged in shouldn't cause damage. You haven't messed up.

Well the thing is it was a used item from an acquaintance and it was "working" at the time , not a fresh out the box thing. So I was wondering if there is anything I could do to determine if it's fried or it just needs a charge. Because when I pulled the battery out, it was pretty low on it's life cycle. I had just plugged it into the charger for it to turn on. So maybe let the device stay plugged in for a while?

aronbchek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2017
Can you change the cable going to the computer/charger?
I wonder, maybe you could have a faulty one - maybe the fuse has blown in it.
if you can use a multi-meter, you can easily test if its giving out the correct voltage.
So I do have two chargers. I tried both of them, one that was never used. They don't shine the charger indicator. It's not the outlet because other devices are working. I'm thinking it's the charging port?

aronbchek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2017
It could well be. Again I don't know how technical you are. The port can come loose, because its soldered, and solder cracks overtime (dry joints) and needs resoldering. I am trying to think of the least expensive things you can try now, that's all.

For my particular problem that is exactly what happened. I had unplugged the charging connector and it was loose. After a quick disconnect and reconnect it was able to use the ac power for power. I still have issues with the battery. It is not being detected at all. I'll make a separate thread about that but for this one I didn't ruin the laptop.

aronbchek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2017
I just got a second hand laptop. The battery worked when I had turned it on but I panicked and thought a long black screen was the death of my laptop. I read online and they suggested to hard reset and if that doesn't work take the battery out and back in. After battling with this laptop to try and get it to work, I've come to realize that this black screen is normal for booting up.

The laptop I have is a HP Pavillion x360 15-cr0051cl. I'm not sure if this is typical but my computer SOMETIMES boots and gives me a CMOS error, and it reboots again. 502. I tried setting it to default but I was a bit unsure. It said reset default bios security settings but I don't know if thats the right one, it's the only one so I assume so. I took out the motherboard to find the CMOS battery. There isn't one, or i didn't find it. I even updated the bios, still no luck detecting a battery. I uninstalled the driver and that whole process, still no dice. I unplugged every cable, disconnected ribbon, connector, left them unplugged, and nothing is changed. A lot of people post online the solutions, but never anything that happens outside of their answer so I need help. Is my battery fried? I'd like to know how. Was my bios corrupted and it's gone screwy? If then, what can I do? I can use it as a plugged in device but I really don't want to. It's incredibly slow and I was wondering if a faulty bios might be the cause. Please any help. Much thanks!

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
What evidence do you have that the battery is fried? Fried batteries usually end up with a laptop fire and total loss. And what is "incredibly" slow? When batteries fail, they usually stop holding charge and things do not power up. And a separate battery is used to power the CMOS. If that battery has failed, the you get CMOS and BIOS problems. And when that kind of failure happens it screws with the hardware detection and it can take a lot of time just for the BIOS to detect things properly and get to booting.

Reactions: aronbchek

aronbchek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2017
What evidence do you have that the battery is fried? Fried batteries usually end up with a laptop fire and total loss. And what is "incredibly" slow? When batteries fail, they usually stop holding charge and things do not power up. And a separate battery is used to power the CMOS. If that battery has failed, the you get CMOS and BIOS problems. And when that kind of failure happens it screws with the hardware detection and it can take a lot of time just for the BIOS to detect things properly and get to booting.

I never had a battery "fry" and I never had battery problems aside from poor battery life, so I assumed the worst. But no, not fried since nothing was burnt up. As for incredibly slow, reminder: I have to use ac power to use the laptop, the laptop will go to login within seconds, but inputting the password is sluggish, Then logging in, accessing the hotbar or anything will freeze the process. Opening the start menu can take several minutes spinning. I have nothing installed or stuff like that. I assume it's slow because the computer is drawing power only from ac input. So I get that a separate battery is a likely cause and probably the next step I want to try but I cannot find that battery in my laptop. And I took it off the chassis but I see nothing that can hold a battery on the motherboard. Perhaps it's apart of the CPU battery somehow? The battery feels modular, which is strange to say.

aronbchek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2017
I think it is HWMonitor that can tell you how much life is left in your battery. Compares the Maximum it should be, to what it is now.
I could be wrong on this software, but there is definitely software out there that can check your battery.

Yes there is software to check the battery life and condition but my battery isn't even being recognized by the computer. I bought another battery to see if it is a battery issue, if not then I'm going to assume it's the bios

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
Does your HP looke like this one in the video?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuhVU0GODvc

The batter should be clearly label with the words "Rechargeable Battery" and would be easily visible and obvious plain as day. See the video at the 5:00 (5 minute mark)

In any case the problems you are describing in no ways would make the battery guilty of slow behavior. Plugging into the AC should actually make most laptop faster, because systems usually throttle to save power and use less battery so they run slower on battery unless explicitly overridden. Running on AC usually grants the machine the ability to run at full speed unless someone deliberately forced it to be in the slower efficiency modes. There is no reason to believe that someone inverted this basic standard setup.

Please provide picture/photo/jpg of your laptop and the problems you are seeing.

aronbchek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2017
Does your HP looke like this one in the video?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuhVU0GODvc

The batter should be clearly label with the words "Rechargeable Battery" and would be easily visible and obvious plain as day. See the video at the 5:00 (5 minute mark)

In any case the problems you are describing in no ways would make the battery guilty of slow behavior. Plugging into the AC should actually make most laptop faster, because systems usually throttle to save power and use less battery so they run slower on battery unless explicitly overridden. Running on AC usually grants the machine the ability to run at full speed unless someone deliberately forced it to be in the slower efficiency modes. There is no reason to believe that someone inverted this basic standard setup.

Please provide picture/photo/jpg of your laptop and the problems you are seeing.

My laptop is similar but not exactly the same as the one in the video. I bought another battery for testing, but now I am pretty sure this is a bios issue. Very often at start up the laptop comes up with a bios error. It says that it's going back to default but it keeps saying I have a bios error when I turn the laptop back on after a few hours pass. I still cannot locate a CMOS battery and the bios settings aren't clear cut either if I have restore or reset them. For some reason this laptop is hard to google to find troubleshooting help and hp website isn't much help either. Anyone have any suggestions to repair my bios?