[SOLVED] Did i screw up with a new M.2 SSD Windows installation?

jozef161

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2013
Hello guys,

So recently I purchased 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD for my main gaming build. After installing it onto my motherboard, I unplugged my older SATA 2.5 inch SSDs that I intend to put into another machine. When turning the PC on for the first time with the new SSD I booted into Windows installation from a flash drive, but I did not format anything on the new M.2 disk when prompted prior to Windows installation, i did not create any partitions as I wanted to have everything in one 'C' partition, I simply just clicked 'install' when i saw that little white table which shows me that I have 1TB of unallocated space. However, I read somewhere that it was a mistake as formatting is necessary for optimal performance on a new SSD.

<deleted by moderator> My head spins if I imagine I'll have to go through the re-installation all over again.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
NO that is exactly how to do it IMO. It creates several partitions for the various windows functions. Open up disk management and have a peek. System Reserved is where the PC actually boots from now. I'll let you google the rest if your interested in what they do.

popatim

Titan
NO that is exactly how to do it IMO. It creates several partitions for the various windows functions. Open up disk management and have a peek. System Reserved is where the PC actually boots from now. I'll let you google the rest if your interested in what they do.

Reactions: jozef161
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
The Windows install does all the formatting and partitioning it needs.
You did it just right.

Reactions: jozef161