[SOLVED] Did I screw up with my Gigabyte B550 build or is there hope?

zambonibutt

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hope someone can guide me on this - Qflash Plused a Gigabyte B550 mobo and according to the led lights it seemed to work. (it was naked with just the psu connected sitting on top of the box) So I added cpu, ram, gpu and connected it to a monitor and used a screwdriver to short the pos and neg posts to start it. It fired up but I wasn't quick enough to hit the keys to get into bios to check what bios it was running, but since it was a 5600x and you need an updated bios it must have taken the bios update if it fired up? Now, here's the part that I am nervous about. Right beside the front panel pos and neg posts are two posts for clearing the cmos which I might have touched with the screwdriver. Now it doesn't fire up. Did I fry the board or did I erase my hard work q flashing the mobo and must remove everything and q flash it again?

Solution
...Now it doesn't fire up....
Are you certain those were the clear CMOS pins? was the motherboard operating at the time you touched them? could you have connected them to something else at that same time?

If you did clear CMOS it was probably the right thing to do since you should after updating BIOS or putting in a new CPU or memory anyway. In fact, I'd try shorting them again: POWER OFF and power plug removed, short for 30s-1m, reassemble.

What does it do if not fire up?
...Now it doesn't fire up....
Are you certain those were the clear CMOS pins? was the motherboard operating at the time you touched them? could you have connected them to something else at that same time?

If you did clear CMOS it was probably the right thing to do since you should after updating BIOS or putting in a new CPU or memory anyway. In fact, I'd try shorting them again: POWER OFF and power plug removed, short for 30s-1m, reassemble.

What does it do if not fire up?

Solution

zambonibutt

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Absolutely certain it was the clear CMOS pins. Power was disconnected. Only thing is I only shorted them for 3 seconds. Will up that to a minute and give that a try. Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

TRENDING THREADS