[SOLVED] Did I set QoS right?

m0niyaw

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
I’m trying to prioritize my laptop and iPhone.
I do gaming and watch YouTube videos.

it doesn’t seem to be making any difference.

I set the pool between 100 and 120 and my two priority devices are set on highest and the rest of the pool is on best effort. It affects all ports since I want all types of traffic to be prioritized.
Everything on wifi.
Did I make a mistake?
I was thinking of removing the rest of the pool entirely and just keep my to devices on highest. Would that work better?
1-CA4-B6-A9-A599-4344-8-E1-F-4067-DC0-C9193.png

Solution
should I just keep the upstream settings and get rid of everything else? I noticed my speed slowed down a little, if it’s not beneficial then I’ll just keep the settings affecting the upstream

Personally I wouldn't apply any QOS unless you are sure congestion is really the cause of any issue you are having. It is generally poorly implemented on consumer grade equipment. You would need to monitor your network usage etc to find the actual cause, again this is rarely possible with consumer grade kit.

m0niyaw

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
Do you have bandwidth issues? What connection do you have? QOS will only degrade performance if you are not saturating your total bandwidth. You also have no control over download only upload. Why have you included every port in the range?
I don’t have bandwidth issues in general but it gets congested quite often and there are 5 to 7 device connected all the time. I have a maximum of 25mbps.

like I said, I included all the ports because I wanna have priority over every type of service. I don’t know all ports numbers so I included all of them.

how do I tweak the settings to have priority over download?

kanewolf

Titan
I’m trying to prioritize my laptop and iPhone.
I do gaming and watch YouTube videos.

it doesn’t seem to be making any difference.

I set the pool between 100 and 120 and my two priority devices are set on highest and the rest of the pool is on best effort. It affects all ports since I want all types of traffic to be prioritized.
Everything on wifi.
Did I make a mistake?
I was thinking of removing the rest of the pool entirely and just keep my to devices on highest. Would that work better?
1-CA4-B6-A9-A599-4344-8-E1-F-4067-DC0-C9193.png
Are you in a congested WIFI area? If so, nothing you do will significantly improve your performance. All the neighboring WIFI interferes on the same frequencies.
Do you use 5Ghz band? If not, that is the first thing you need to do.

m0niyaw

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
I live in a rural areas with no neighbours around me In at least 2 mile radius, so I don’t get interference. The service is 25mbps down and 2up with LTE. I’ve got this device installed on my roof by my ISP.

sometimes it gets congested in the evenings.
I’ve tried 5ghz but it doesn’t really change anything.
I want to limit bandwidth for other devices so mine can have more when I need it for work or gaming.

kanewolf

Titan
I live in a rural areas with no neighbours around me In at least 2 mile radius, so I don’t get interference. The service is 25mbps down and 2up with LTE. I’ve got this device installed on my roof by my ISP.

sometimes it gets congested in the evenings.
I’ve tried 5ghz but it doesn’t really change anything.
I want to limit bandwidth for other devices so mine can have more when I need it for work or gaming.
If your service is LTE then the cellular network is your limiting factor.

m0niyaw

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
If your service is LTE then the cellular network is your limiting factor.
I’m aware of it. What I’m trying to do is prioritize the traffic to my devices. The Xbox and the PS4 usually get all the bandwidth leaving me with 2mbps. Even when I’m streaming first and they connect after, they somehow jump the queue and get priority over my download, slowing me down.

if I run a speed test right now with no other devices connected I get between 20 to 25mbps.
This is the reason I bought a router with QoS because I need my laptop and phone to be prioritized, sometimes I can’t even load a simple we page.
I don’t know if I should limit the range of ports or do something else to achieve this, I’m trying everything I know but somehow the two console still overrule QoS, even though they get connected after my two devices are using bandwidth (usually it’s first come first serve)

But what does "highest" actually mean. What % of bandwidth is that compared to lowest.

Pretty much these simplistic QoS implementation are worthless.

Very technically there is no way to run QoS on the download link. The ISP decides what to send and what to drop. Your router can do nothing until it actually gets the data and it can't then drop the traffic it doesn't like and magically recreate the traffic the ISP dropped.

What work to some extent is if the router drops the traffic it didn't really want. This does not put the bandwidth back though. It hopes when the machine does not actually get the data it reduces the rate it request data. It works for some types of traffic.

To work you need a router that lets you set the bandwidth by IP address. Some let you set minimum and maximum bandwidth by IP. Others you can group users you want to limit together and then cap the bandwidth they use.

If the game consoles are doing file downloads it could help. It will just break their games or make things like netflix unusable if you set the limit too low.

m0niyaw

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
Would it work if I set QoS from the repeater? I got access to the repeater (I don’t know the actual name, it’s that LTE dish on the roof). It’s like an actual router when it comes to settings.

my router has an IP address. It’s almost like having 2 routers if that makes sense.

5-FC602-CE-98-E4-40-BE-B5-F3-5254-A12-D3046.png

m0niyaw

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
Would it work if I set QoS from the repeater? I got access to the repeater (I don’t know the actual name, it’s that LTE dish on the roof). It’s like an actual router when it comes to settings.

my router has an IP address. It’s almost like having 2 routers if that makes sense.

I can set bandwidth by IP or MAC address from here but somehow it doesn’t affect the devices since they go through my router first and then to the receiver/repeater.
5-FC602-CE-98-E4-40-BE-B5-F3-5254-A12-D3046.png

I don’t have bandwidth issues in general but it gets congested quite often and there are 5 to 7 device connected all the time. I have a maximum of 25mbps.

like I said, I included all the ports because I wanna have priority over every type of service. I don’t know all ports numbers so I included all of them.

how do I tweak the settings to have priority over download?
You can't do anything to your download, it's coming from outside your network inwards, you can only affect outbound..

m0niyaw

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
You can't do anything to your download, it's coming from outside your network inwards, you can only affect outbound..

should I just keep the upstream settings and get rid of everything else? I noticed my speed slowed down a little, if it’s not beneficial then I’ll just keep the settings affecting the upstream

Personally I wouldn't apply any QOS unless you are sure congestion is really the cause of any issue you are having. It is generally poorly implemented on consumer grade equipment. You would need to monitor your network usage etc to find the actual cause, again this is rarely possible with consumer grade kit.

Solution