Question Did I somehow brick my Mobo and/ or PSU(s)

Jun 3, 2022
Earlier this week I purchased some new components for my PC. After I had swapped out my old ones my PC wouldn't boot up. I figured it was because I had bought a 5700x and my Motherboard(MSI B550 GAMING PLUS) didn't have the latest bios update. So I tried flashing it and it didn't work. Through the better part of 4 hours I swapped my RAM back, my cpu, cleared the CMOS, flashed with every bios available and it wouldn't boot. It was just stuck on the CPU EZdebug light. After thorough research on different forums and reddit posts I figured that I somehow bricked the Mobo. So yesterday I went out and bought a new one (ASUS TUF GAMING X570 WI-FI) Now I'm aware this does not support flashback so I just went and put my old cpu into this one to boot and get a bios update. But it didn't power on at all this time. I could tell that the motherboard was at least receiving some power because there were LEDs on the back glowing. I thought my front IO might not be working so I tried to short the pins with 3 different screwdrivers but no signs of life. Then I thought that something might be wrong with the PSU which I thought would be weird considering it worked yesterday. But low and behold it failed the paperclip test 5 times. I tested it on another PSU and that one worked. I didn't want to take any more risks trying to fix the PSU and somehow brick the new Mobo. So today I bought another and the same thing happened Starting the pins didn't work, front IO also didn't work, as well as it failed the paperclip test. I'm starting to think that the motherboard might be a problem or my CPU but I'll wait until I can figure it out or take it to someone else.

Parts
Ryzen 7 3700x/5700x
RTX 3070
ASUS TUF GAMING X570 WIFI
32GB PATRIOT VIPER RAM
MSI MAG A850GF PSU

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

So I tried flashing it and it didn't work.
How did you flash the BIOS on the motherboard?

You might want to source a donor PSU with at least 75W at your entire system's disposal to rule out your PSU being the root of the issue. A side note would be that the paperclip test only shows if the PSU can power up...it doesn't indicate how much power the PSU can deliver to your components either under ideal or load conditions.

You should also try and breadboard your hardware and relocate to a different wall outlet. A bad power source can also nuke PSU's. Well, there's also the matter of bad PSU's leaving the assembly line and that it's by MSI who have a reputation of letting sub par products circulate around the market(although other brands are also guilty of such practices).