[SOLVED] Did I spend too much on this build?

irsssonnn

Prominent
Oct 9, 2021
I have decided not to buy a graphics card right now because of the price and go with a build like this:
  1. AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor (AUD 369)
  2. Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO V2 62 CFM CPU Cooler (AUD 59)
  3. Gigabyte B550M DS3H AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (AUD 117 )
  4. G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8GB) PC4-32000 (4000MHz) DDR4 (AUD 159)
  5. Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (AUD 103)
  6. Corsair RMx 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (AUD 108)
  7. Deepcool - DP-MATX-MATREXX40 case (AUD 59)
  8. ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 5-Pack (AUD 49)
  9. AOC 24G2 23.8inch IPS 144Hz (AUD 299)
All of this amounts to roughly $1390 incl. shipping and gst.

My target is 30-50 fps at lowest to mid settings(720 or 1080p) on most game except the demanding and new games.

Solution
i would definitely get a better cooler for that CPU.

ditch the tiny monitor(besides it is pretty expensive for such a small low resolution display).

fans are an okay deal for ~$12 a piece.

power supply is a good model but will only support lower tier graphics cards when you do decide to pick one up.
i'd be aiming for 750w at the least for a mid-high range GPU.

case is small but is well designed.
if you plan on sticking with small motherboards for the future it should be fine.

You do realize this is Aussie dollars right? Also a hyper 212 evo is plenty for a 5600g, though there are some cheaper alternatives, that are decent too.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor...

ditch the tiny monitor(besides it is pretty expensive for such a small low resolution display).

power supply is a good model but will only support lower tier graphics cards when you do decide to pick one up.

if you plan on sticking with small motherboards for the future it should be fine.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The ram raises an eyebrow. Frequency, primary and secondary timings all matter to Ryzen - preferably a combination of high freq, and low primary timings. [Secondary is harder to look for.]
Something like 3600 16-16-16-36 is a good balance of price to performance. IF that 4000 kit has higher timings, it'll negate the speed advantage, and not be much better than a cheaper kit.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
More what I would of bought, double the storage with a 1030 video card. Could up the power supply a bit since it sounds like your looking for prices to drop on cards.

PCPartPicker Part List

EDIT I take that back looks like the 5600G graphics is a bit better but might still consider it if you could find a cheap 1050/ 1050ti used.

Last edited:

irsssonnn

Prominent
Oct 9, 2021

Thanks for the reply.
I don't plan to overclock just yet so shouldn't it be enough? If not which one would would you suggest?

This monitor was the best I could find in the price range of the 144hz 24 inch. can you suggest which monitor should i buy after ditching this one?

Also, many people said that this power supply should handle 2080 just fine. In the future I am thinking of upgrading to 1080ti or a 2070/80. Is it still not good?

Sorry if i am sounding rude but I just want to know what is correct since i have found many confusing things.

irsssonnn

Prominent
Oct 9, 2021
The ram raises an eyebrow. Frequency, primary and secondary timings all matter to Ryzen - preferably a combination of high freq, and low primary timings. [Secondary is harder to look for.]
Something like 3600 16-16-16-36 is a good balance of price to performance. IF that 4000 kit has higher timings, it'll negate the speed advantage, and not be much better than a cheaper kit.
Thanks for your reply.
The timing listed on the store website is 18-22-22-42, 1.35V. Won't adjusting the timings and frequency in the bios do the trick.
If I can do that, could you please tell me what timings and frequency would be best for this build?

irsssonnn

Prominent
Oct 9, 2021
More what I would of bought, double the storage with a 1030 video card. Could up the power supply a bit since it sounds like your looking for prices to drop on cards.

PCPartPicker Part List

EDIT I take that back looks like the 5600G graphics is a bit better but might still consider it if you could find a cheap 1050/ 1050ti used.
Thanks for the advice. I looked for a 1050ti and rx 560 but they are no less than $400-500. Guess it's igpu for me.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The timing listed on the store website is 18-22-22-42, 1.35V.
Pretty loose primary timings. Would definitely bring the speed of this kit down. The 3600 one mentioned earlier would be better.

Won't adjusting the timings and frequency in the bios do the trick.
It can, yes - but there's a catch.
1)Ram is also binned. You can check what you get with Ryzen Dram Calculator - some people out there can figure out what it is just from the serial number.
2)The trial and error involved in stability testing ram is a test of patience in itself. Easier to get a kit with a good balance of speed plus lower timings and work with that; it's more likely to have a higher bin too.

If I can do that, could you please tell me what timings and frequency would be best for this build?
I don't know it. That I have an idea is due to reading around and watching a couple videos.
I tried tuning the ram for my current system for a few days... quickly gave up on it - tuning my cpu's cores is easier than that. XMP does enough for me.

logainofhades

Titan

You do realize this is Aussie dollars right? Also a hyper 212 evo is plenty for a 5600g, though there are some cheaper alternatives, that are decent too.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($359.00 @ PC Byte)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX GTE V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.00 @ Centre Com)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($123.20 @ Device Deal)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.50 @ Amazon Australia)
Case: KOLINK Citadel Mesh MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($59.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Monitor: Philips 242E1GAJ/75 23.8" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($217.20 @ Device Deal)
Total: $1169.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-10-23 01:46 AEDT+1100

Solution