Oct 8, 2021
Hi all,

My old dell xps8500 has been going strong, a few new cards, drives, a new cmos battery and little else over the years (it’s never had new thermal paste, I’ve never touched the cpu tbh). Recently I went to plug in a usb device in one front USB port whilst another usb device was in another port and I accidentally picked up the end of the thing already plugged in and plugged it in again meaning both ends of one cable were plugged into 2 ports. I don’t think it turned off then though. Have i fried my motherboard in some sort of short circuit death as I now get about 10 seconds then it just powers off - no lights, no beeps just dead as a can of spam. I did put a cheap msata card in about 6 weeks ago but it’s been on fine maybe 10 times since then, when I did that I did look at all the cpuid stuff and everything looked and sounded fine - gpu happy etc. Is the best route now check psu, then mboard? Thanks. If it’s not clear please consider me a moron in any response.

Oct 8, 2021
You may have fried the motherboard.
You could try disconnecting all the USB ports at the motherboard and see if it boots.....but if it still doesn't.....I would suspect the motherboard.
the PSU.....not as much.

thanks - I mean it does boot to windows ok it just then dies, it’s like sometimes 5 seconds sometimes nearly 20 seconds. Would you still try unplug usb and boot? Thanks for your help