Did I wreck my motherboard?

mrwed

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I tried to replace my Duron 1600 with an Athlon XP 2800+. (My mobo is an ECS kvta3 version 8.0.) The bus frequency for the Duron is 133mhz, and for the Athlon it's 166. I stupidly forgot to re-set the jumpers to the new speed after I'd put in the new processor. When I turned on the power the computer wouldn't post; I realized I'd forgotten to change the jumpers and turned off the PC (I think it had been on about 30 sec.) Unfortunately, even after I'd set the jumpers correctly it still wouldn't post. So I switched back to the Duron, changed the jumpers to the correct settings and got one beep, but since then nothing --not a beep, no sign of the BIOS starting, just the fan running. At first I hoped I'd gotten a bad Athlon CPU (on e-bay) , but now I don't know what to think. Could I have fried the mobo with my dumb mistake on the jumpers? Or do I have to clear the CMOS every time I switch the processor (I didn't do that)? I would certainly appreciate any help -- this is the first time I've tried changing my processor.

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
The Athlon XP 2800+ should work just fine at 133mhz fsb, just a little slower. Anyway, having the wrong fsb is not the sort of thing that should kill a motherboard permanently.

I fear you have been sold a dud from ebay, if the CPU had a short circuit in, possibly it could kill a motherboard.

I would give the CMOS reset a try, nothing to loose, and try the Duron back in at the original settings.

mrwed

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Thanks for the quick reply-- that's just the information I was looking for. I hope clearing the CMOS will do the trick...