• Find an incredible deal for Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Share those epic bargains with the community by posting them in this forum thread!

Question Did Intel SpeedStep get disabled?

ethan206

Prominent
Jul 27, 2018
I recently upgraded my CPU from an i7 2640M to a i7 2760QM and everything seems to be fine (turbo boost, hyper threading, stability, temperatures all working normal) except I notice that in task manager when I'm idle or not doing anything and the CPU is at like 5% utilization, the clock speed is still at like 3.0GHz and with Intel SpeedStep shouldn't that lower the clock speed down? I'm pretty sure I didn't run into this issue on my old CPU, but when I go into the BIOS, it says Intel SpeedStep is enabled. Some other things to note are that I do keep my laptop plugged in at all times and am on High Performance Power Plan, so is that why? (Dell Latitude E6520)

ethan206

Prominent
Jul 27, 2018
Prior to upgrading the processor on your laptop, did you make sure that you're on the latest BIOS update? Mind sharing what OS you're working with?
I think I am using the most up-to-date BIOS, Version A22, and am using Windows 10 Pro Version 1903.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS