Did Memtest kill my ram? Debug error codes after pc freezes.

jp95

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
So, I was overclocking my cpu and ram and decided to run a memtest 64 (or86?). I went to check on my pc and the memtest was frozen on the second pass with no errors. Go to restart my pc and my degug light is on 18 which means ram. Cleared cmos, reseated ram and cpu, tried different slots, and still getting error codes (9,18, 15) which all point to a error with ram.

My system passed multiple hours of prime 95 and memtest previously with no issues.

Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me fix my pc?

Did mem test kill my ram?

System:
z370 gaming k6 Asrock
8600k 5.1ghz 1.37v
Gskill ripjaws 2800 1.2v @ 3600 1.35v
Corsair 650w
1tb WD blue
256gb samsung evo

legendarydarkmafia

Commendable
Sep 9, 2017

It actually may be the opposite, sorry to break it to you but you may as well killed your ram. OCing ram is a bit harder than OCing CPU's. I suggest try to use a spare ram and see if it boots up. If you are using two slots, Try using one ram at a time to see which one is broken.

jp95

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
It could be the overclocking but I doubt it as both sticks stopped working completely at once. Also the ram voltage and temp was not excessive.

I'm starting to think it may be the powersupply or motherboard.

I'm going to try the ram in another system I'll update of i find a solution.

I accidently downvoted your answer can't figure out how to undo it lol

legendarydarkmafia

Commendable
Sep 9, 2017
If you do have another system go try it. I doubt it'll be your PSU broken since RAM doesn't strain much PSU... Your motherboard should be fine also, still I'd recommend testing it in a mother system and test it one by one. Are you sure everything in BIOS is default?

jp95

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
Well I took put the cmos battery and shorter the jumpers. No way to know for sure because I can't even get into bios now. Can't work on the pc until monday because I'm out of town.

jp95

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
I tried my ram in another pc and it worked fine. I also tried a new psu which did not help.

It must be my mobo or cpu but I have no way of testing either of them, and local repair shops wont let me bring my cpu in for testing.

Not sure what to do from here...

legendarydarkmafia

Commendable
Sep 9, 2017

hmm.. since your ram is fine, maybe your ram slot? no way to test for sure

jp95

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014

I narrowed it down to the cpu. Intel sent me a new one it should get here tomorrow. I'll update if this solves my problem.

legendarydarkmafia

Commendable
Sep 9, 2017

I was about to say motherboard but lets try CPU , I remembered on my old build pc frequently freezes or bsods, found out it was the mobo :/ it also showed light error codes which means ram, I forgot I think it blinked 3 times with an orangey colorish and found out it meant ram.

jp95

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014

I bought a new motherboard (then returned it) and my system still wouldn't post. So I figure it must be cpu. I think the memory controller might have died and that's why I get memory errors on mobo.

legendarydarkmafia

Commendable
Sep 9, 2017

That may be on.. My old laptop had another similar problem as this and turns out the IC power chip on my mobo fried off.