Did MS just release Windows 10 on the latest update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ideaman924

Honorable
May 1, 2015
Seems like that's the alpha build, not a full edition.
It just got pushed to me, too.
Although it's a lot buggy still. If Microsoft released this, their stock market would just.....(wheee.....boom.....!)

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Build 10240 is the apparently the RTM build. It likely still has a time-bomb though and will deactivate at a later time, say 6 months later. This is only for the Insiders. The general public won't start getting it until July 29th.

Microsoft has clearly said that the general public will NOT be getting Windows 10 on July 29th. Only the Insiders (beta testers) will get it that day.

Once Microsoft decides to start feeding it to people other than Insiders, it will be in small groups at first, and then assuming things are going well (and what could possibly go wrong, right??), then more people will be added to additional waves of people that will be invited to download it. There is no timeline for all of this to happen. Which is probably a very good thing.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

Multiple sources have indicated that build 10240 is the RTM build. They have also reported that OEMs are getting the RTM bits so they can start building computers.

After July 29th I personally recommend that Insiders at the very least perform a Clean Reset. That seems to fix a lot of problems that people are having who have been running Insider builds for a while.

USAFRet

Titan

Right. But that has little to do with the OP's question about whatever is installed on his PC.

evilsizer

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks for the information. Just thought that it was odd that I couldn't find a build number on this one. With it being such a long update and a EULA at the beginning, it just made me wonder.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

If it came from Windows update and it no longer has the build information in the corner then it most certainly is build 10240. This is the only build they have released with out the watermark. If you downloaded a build from a torrent then it probably is still 10240. Also, while it was downloading Windows update indicates what build and from which branch you are pulling it from,

From a CMD prompt type "ver" The number at the end is the build number.

Status
Not open for further replies.