Question Did my ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS die?

JonT

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2013
Before I go ahead and buy a replacement, can I just check whether I have missed anything?

This morning a fan (not sure which one) on my ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS motherboard system went to max while the PC was under no load. I hit the power button immediately and now it will not power back up - no beeps, no led activity, nothing.

. I have tried the following:
  • Re-seat all components.
  • Remove all components such as graphics card, m.2 drives.
  • Boot with single memory card, removing the other three and using the correct single slot.
  • Shorting the switch header (which has 3v flowing through it - I checked)
  • Tried an alternative power supply for the motherboard and cpu power.
  • Disconnected all headers such as front audio, usb etc
  • short the CMOS reset.
Still not a peep out of it. I think it’s dead, but is there anything else I can try?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
CPU cooler: Coolermaster hyper 212
Ram: 64GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz
SSD/HDD: 1TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD/2 x 4TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5" (Raid 1)
GPU: 8GB ASUS TURBO GEFORCE RTX 3070
PSU: CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIESTM MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD (2 years old)

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...50-PLUS_UM_WEB.pdf?model=TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Your motherboard has what's known as Asus CrashFree BIOS 3, shown on page 2-4, give that a whirl.

JonT

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2013
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/TUF_GAMING_B550-PLUS/E16576_TUF_GAMING_B550-PLUS_UM_WEB.pdf?model=TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Your motherboard has what's known as Asus CrashFree BIOS 3, shown on page 2-4, give that a whirl.
Thanks. I was adding that info just as you replied :)

That seems to require the system to power up following a POST error on boot. This system is completely dead. There is absolutely no activity when powered on or shorting the power switch header.

Reactions: drea.drechsler