Did my corsair rmx 850w fail to complet it's over power protection?

jaggispaceprogram

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017
I hooked up my new psu and accidentally connected 2 fans which have both 3 pin and molex connectors, and connected the 2 molex together and then connected the 3 pin connectors to my fan controller, then plugged the molex in to the psu. I turned it on and everything ran fine but after about a minute I noticed a bad smell and some smoke, and immediately unplugged tangent psu. The fan controller wire was melted and the switch itself is busted. I have done this before but my old psu shut down the computer before it got too hot and I was able to find the problem. This much higher end psu did not do the same thing. Is this the fault of the psu or still just mine entirely? Nothing was damaged besides the fan controller on the front interface as well as the wire melting onto some other front interface wires. Would I be able to contact corsair and get some sort of help for this or am I on my own?

Solution
The fans aren't meant to draw power from both connectors at the same time. Just take your loss, get a new fan controller, and don't make the same mistake twice.

jaggispaceprogram

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017

What do you recommend I do?

toshibitsu

Distinguished

"My power supply stopped working. I borrowed a PSU from my other desktop and the system works fine with that one."

:no: