Question Did my CPU die?

Jul 18, 2019
Hey everyone, I've lurked this forum for awhile, but this is my first post. Unfortunately it isn't a happy one.

I use a computer I built for record production in a pretty busy studio. Last night the computer shut off without notice and would not restart. When I push the power on button it will start moving fans, the lite drive starts to buzz, and about a half second later it shuts right off again. The computer is about 8 months old and is built with all new parts besides the PSU and the case, which around 6 years old.

Here is the system:
Asus X99-e
i7-6800k
32GB Corsair Vengeance
Noctua NH-U12s
Corsair 650W PSU
Samsung SSD
4 Seagate Barracudas
Windows 10

The mobo flashes '14' for a just a moment right before the power cuts back off. The definition of q code 14 is "Pre-Memory CPU initialization is started".

I did the following already:
Replaced the CMOS battery.
Took each stick of ram (there are 4) out one at a time.
Unplugged all the hard drives in the computer.

I have not tried to reseat the CPU yet, but I'm thinking this is next. Also, I could try to see if the case fans will at least stay running with the cpu out.

My hope is the PSU died, but doesn't seem likely yet. I may be able to borrow a PSU from a friend to count that out if you all think it is worth while.

I'm pretty desperate as this computer is the center of how I make my living. Thank you so much for any help. I'm happy to give more info if I missed something.

Neil

AllanGH

Estimable
Mar 10, 2019
Despite it being one of Corsair's better units, at 6 years-in, the PSU remains your most likely point of failure. Definitely test with a known-good unit to confirm or disprove that possibility.

Jul 18, 2019
Despite it being one of Corsair's better units, at 6 years-in, the PSU remains your most likely point of failure. Definitely test with a known-good unit to confirm or disprove that possibility.
Thanks for your help. I'll start there. I hope it is the problem actually. Much easier/cheaper fix. Is there any other trouble shooting I could do with this unit while I search out a doner? I have a friend with a known working 500Watt supply, but it needs to be pulled from his backup system.

Neil

AllanGH

Estimable
Mar 10, 2019
If you have a multimeter, the first, best action to take would be to test the PSU outputs to the motherboard connectors...12V, 5V, 3.3V, -12V, 5VSB. Any of those that are lacking indicates an issue with the PSU.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr70VyoACPg

As to it being cheaper to fix....hopefully it is, but PSUs have a bit of a habit of taking-out other system components when they die, and I hope that is not the case here.

Jul 18, 2019
If you have a multimeter, the first, best action to take would be to test the PSU outputs to the motherboard connectors...12V, 5V, 3.3V, -12V, 5VSB. Any of those that are lacking indicates an issue with the PSU.
I tested the PSU with a multimeter as per the video you shared and all voltages are within tolerance.

I still haven't found a doner PSU to try.

Should I still do that, even though the PSU runs with the paper clip jumper and correct voltages found?

What is the next logical step?

Neil

Jul 18, 2019
I reseated the CPU. Nothing looks burnt. No bent pins. Now when I try to turn on it shuts right off and no longer flashes the "14" on the q code. It then tries to turn itself on and shuts off at a frequency of about once per second about 10 times before giving up.

Jul 18, 2019
Is your motherboard on the latest BIOS??

I definitely agree that it could still be the PSU, whenever possible try a newer unit. Preferably a good unit from Seasonic
I've been trying to run one down all day. It's pertty hard to find anyone who actually stocks computer parts that don't need shipped.

Neil

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS