Question Did my CPU die?

Jul 18, 2019
Hey everyone, I've lurked this forum for awhile, but this is my first post. Unfortunately it isn't a happy one.

I use a computer I built for record production in a pretty busy studio. Last night the computer shut off without notice and would not restart. When I push the power on button it will start moving fans, the lite drive starts to buzz, and about a half second later it shuts right off again. The computer is about 8 months old and is built with all new parts besides the PSU and the case, which around 6 years old.

Here is the system:
Asus X99-e
i7-6800k
32GB Corsair Vengeance
Noctua NH-U12s
Corsair 650W PSU
Samsung SSD
4 Seagate Barracudas
Windows 10

The mobo flashes '14' for a just a moment right before the power cuts back off. The definition of q code 14 is "Pre-Memory CPU initialization is started".

I did the following already:
Replaced the CMOS battery.
Took each stick of ram (there are 4) out one at a time.
Unplugged all the hard drives in the computer.

I have not tried to reseat the CPU yet, but I'm thinking this is next. Also, I could try to see if the case fans will at least stay running with the cpu out.

My hope is the PSU died, but doesn't seem likely yet. I may be able to borrow a PSU from a friend to count that out if you all think it is worth while.

I'm pretty desperate as this computer is the center of how I make my living. Thank you so much for any help. I'm happy to give more info if I missed something.

Neil

Jul 18, 2019
Despite it being one of Corsair's better units, at 6 years-in, the PSU remains your most likely point of failure. Definitely test with a known-good unit to confirm or disprove that possibility.

Thanks for your help. I'll start there. I hope it is the problem actually. Much easier/cheaper fix. Is there any other trouble shooting I could do with this unit while I search out a doner? I have a friend with a known working 500Watt supply, but it needs to be pulled from his backup system.

Neil

If you have a multimeter, the first, best action to take would be to test the PSU outputs to the motherboard connectors...12V, 5V, 3.3V, -12V, 5VSB. Any of those that are lacking indicates an issue with the PSU.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr70VyoACPg

As to it being cheaper to fix....hopefully it is, but PSUs have a bit of a habit of taking-out other system components when they die, and I hope that is not the case here.

Jul 18, 2019
If you have a multimeter, the first, best action to take would be to test the PSU outputs to the motherboard connectors...12V, 5V, 3.3V, -12V, 5VSB. Any of those that are lacking indicates an issue with the PSU.

I tested the PSU with a multimeter as per the video you shared and all voltages are within tolerance.

I still haven't found a doner PSU to try.

Should I still do that, even though the PSU runs with the paper clip jumper and correct voltages found?

What is the next logical step?

Neil

Jul 18, 2019
I reseated the CPU. Nothing looks burnt. No bent pins. Now when I try to turn on it shuts right off and no longer flashes the "14" on the q code. It then tries to turn itself on and shuts off at a frequency of about once per second about 10 times before giving up.

TRENDING THREADS