Question Did my GPU burn?

joaocrbs

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017
Hey all!

I have an AMD Radeon HD 6670 for a long time now and it never gave me any problems.
Recently, however, it started acting strange whenever I put the computer on sleep: when I tried to turn it on again, I would see a black screen. I would have to open up my computer to remove and reinsert my graphics card.
This worked but I still didn't understand the problem. Updated drivers and stuff but this still persisted.
Even had a BSOD once due to the graphics card.

However last night while I was playing LoL my screen completely froze. Forced it to reboot and I had no image. Rebooted again and this time I saw black and white and like an 800x600 resolution.
I went to check on the Device Manager and weirdly enough, it was still there, the AMD Radeon HD 6670.
Reinstalled the drivers and rebooted the computer. Now I have image in colors and a 1024x768 resolution but the device manager no longer shows my GPU, rather it says Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.
Which is really weird, I mean my GPU isn't recognised by the system however I'm getting output from it. Even weirder, it's not working at it's supposed resolution.

I tried reinstalling the drivers again but even the AMD software doesn't recognise my GPU.
Did my GPU have its final breath and died?

Thanks in advance!

joaocrbs

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017
It sure looks like it.
I rolled back the drivers and manually reinstalled and now it seems to be working just fine again, normal resolution and all.

However I'm still concerned, are these signs that my GPU is about to die?
What can I do to maybe improve its lifespan a little longer?

Thanks!

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
If you don't get artifacts and it's working as it should it might have been a driver glitch/bug of some sort. What brand model is your PSU?

You say you've had it for long. Check temps, if the thermal paste has dried up (as a result of the card ageing) and, that caused the freeze and the following events you described, maybe reapplying a good thermal paste would help.

You can check temps while under load by running GPU-Z or HWiNFO in the background.

All in all yes unfortunately those maybe signs of the old card being on it's last legs.

joaocrbs

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017
If you don't get artifacts and it's working as it should it might have been a driver glitch/bug of some sort. What brand model is your PSU?

You say you've had it for long. Check temps, if the thermal paste has dried up (as a result of the card ageing) and, that caused the freeze and the following events you described, maybe reapplying a good thermal paste would help.

You can check temps while under load by running GPU-Z or HWiNFO in the background.

All in all yes unfortunately those maybe signs of the old card being on it's last legs.

I dont have artifacts thankfully.
I don't know about the PSU, I think it's a somewhat low-end one around 450W.

Temperatures seem normal, I haven't played any video games yet though, aside from runescape but that is CPU processing. Watching videos and stuff it gets to 38ºC which doesn't seem to be high at all.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I dont have artifacts thankfully.
I don't know about the PSU, I think it's a somewhat low-end one around 450W.

Temperatures seem normal, I haven't played any video games yet though, aside from runescape but that is CPU processing. Watching videos and stuff it gets to 38ºC which doesn't seem to be high at all.

Yes all seems to be OK. The PSU being "somewhat low-end" and old doesn't spell good performance if you don't mind me saying.

If its tarts acting up again test it with another PSU is possible.