hahapingazzz

Honorable
Nov 10, 2015
Hello, in need of some help not really sure what just happened. Was playing black ops 3 zombies in 4K for the first time and everything seemed fine, all of a sudden my pc shut off and won’t turn back on. Opened up the case and my GPU is HOTTTT which is weird because it’s water cooled and generally stayed very cool. Have unplugged and reseated GPU and it still won’t boot, even though my cpu does have onboard graphics.

Was it my GPU that fried, or could it have been something else? Can’t smell any fried electronics at all.

Important Specs:
GeForce 1080 ti waterforce
Thermaltake toughpower gold 750w

Solution
UPDATE: plugged my girlfriends PSU in and were all good, not really sure how the power supply fried, but it’s definitely better then the graphics card dying!
I have a couple ideas about that.
A)That card requires 2x 8pin connections.
Did you use 2 separate cables, or a 'shared' cable; the connectors are on a single cable.
With the latter, and on high power gpus, that kind of connection can burn up.

B)Check gpu thermals, ASAP. That card has a thermal limit of 90C.

C)Turn it off, open it up, and check around inside the chassis for possible fluid leaks. When the fluid dries, it leaves whitish stains, if I recall correctly.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
GeForce 1080 ti waterforce
Have you been keeping an eye on thermals? Those pumps don't last forever, and if the gpu is hitting the thermal limit, it will force your PC off.

my cpu does have onboard graphics.
And you turned the PC on with the gpu removed from the PCIe slot and the monitor plugged into the motherboard?

What's the state of the psu fan? It still works?
An overheating psu will also force the system off as well, and will actually refuse to power back on until it has cooled down.

Reactions: PrinceTexasLoaf

hahapingazzz

Honorable
Nov 10, 2015
Have you been keeping an eye on thermals? Those pumps don't last forever, and if the gpu is hitting the thermal limit, it will force your PC off.

And you turned the PC on with the gpu removed from the PCIe slot and the monitor plugged into the motherboard?

What's the state of the psu fan? It still works?
An overheating psu will also force the system off as well, and will actually refuse to power back on until it has cooled down.

I wasn’t keeping an eye on thermals at the time no, but I would’ve thought the gpu would’ve shut down to save itself from frying, but now it won’t turn back on an hour later when it’s all nice and cool

Removed the graphics card and plugged into the motherboard and upon pressing the power button nothing happens at all.

I am insure of the state of the power supply fan, when I try to power on nothing happens, literally nothing, the psu wasn’t hot at all when it shut off and I couldn’t smell burning like I could last time I had a power supply fry

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
but I would’ve thought the gpu would’ve shut down to save itself from frying, but now it won’t turn back on an hour later when it’s all nice and cool
It does, but I'm now led to believe something else happened - a possible chain reaction of sorts.
Since the gpu was HOT to the touch... wait. I just remembered that there's 2 models of the 1080Ti Waterforce. Which one is yours?
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/gigabyte-aorus-gtx-1080-ti-waterforce-xtreme.b4746

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/gigabyte-aorus-gtx-1080-ti-waterforce-wb-xtreme-edition.b4707

hahapingazzz

Honorable
Nov 10, 2015

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
UPDATE: plugged my girlfriends PSU in and were all good, not really sure how the power supply fried, but it’s definitely better then the graphics card dying!

Graphics cards are power hungry hardwares. The first hardware that gets affected by a bad power supplies are the GPU. It shows the first sign of a bad PSU like not booting, no signal or erratic/static/wavy display.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Did you use 2 separate cables, or a 'shared' cable; the connectors are on a single cable.

C)Turn it off, open it up, and check around inside the chassis for possible fluid leaks. When the fluid dries, it leaves whitish stains, if I recall correctly.

Solution

hahapingazzz

Honorable
Nov 10, 2015

I was using two seperate cables, and unfortunately I had to give her power supply back as she needs it, but I’ve just ordered a new one and will make sure I watch those temps and check for leaks when I power it back up, thank you!