Question Did my GPU suddenly fail?

Feb 19, 2020
Hi all,

This is the first time I've encountered this problem. I was playing FFXIV today and alt tabbed out of the game, when suddenly my primary monitor and secondary monitor suddenly loss all imaging, leaving both screens with just a blur of a single colour.

I wasn't able to alt tab or go into task manager, so I opted to restart the computer. When I did so, I had no image on my screen until I swapped the DVI to my onboard motherboard graphic card.

It then went into a restart error loop as Windows tried to fix things with no luck. I thought it was a corrupt files preventing boot, so I wiped and reinstalled Windows 10.

However, on device manager, with the fresh Windows 10, there is an error code 43 next to the GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (I have the Asus ROG strix GPU). I've installed the latest drivers and still have this error.

The fans on the GPU aren't spinning, but the LEDs are lighting up fine. Whenever I plug my the DVI back into the GPU slot, I get no output of image, just a black screen.

I will try and take the GPU out completely and replace it to see if there's any loose connections with the motherboard, but I'm just not sure what's going on.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

---

My specs:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-7700k
  • RAM: 16gb
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z270F Gaming
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
  • PSU: Corsair RM650 Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU 650 watts

I have recently replaced my PSU with the above one a week ago due to clicking noises from my old Antec HCG-620M which had been going on for a year.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020
Any error codes or warnings in Reliability History?

As for Error code 43/Device Manager the following link may prove helpful:

https://www.lifewire.com/43-errors-explained-2619238

No particular error codes other than Hardware error in Reliability History since the fresh install of windows.

No issues prior to all this since I've had the computer for the past 3 years.

I'll run through that list as soon as I'm home from work and report back. I've tried maybe half of the things on there so far.

Feb 19, 2020
No particular error codes other than Hardware error in Reliability History since the fresh install of windows.

No issues prior to all this since I've had the computer for the past 3 years.

I'll run through that list as soon as I'm home from work and report back. I've tried maybe half of the things on there so far.

I think the only things left I have to try are:
  • recheck pci-e connection/change slots
  • update windows service pack
  • update bios

Failing that, is there anything I can do to check if my graphics card has died? It seems to receive power with the LED RGB lighting up, but fans don't spin on start up, or at any point anymore.

Feb 19, 2020
I've now done all of the above and have tested the GPU on my friends motherboard, reproducing the same issues with no display outputted from the GPU. His device manager also says error code 43 or a hardware issue.

I'm guessing it's an issue isolated to the card at this stage and I might need a replacement?