Did my graphics card die?

Kordras

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Having a major issue here...

I was playing Mass Effect 2 when the colors changed, the game stuttered, and then my PC crashed. I caught a glimpse of a pop up bubble before it shut off though, that said something about 'display' and 'disabled' (sorry, I didn't catch more than that :( )

It looks like my graphics card died or something... at first it would only boot up in to safe mode, so I uninstalled the display drivers, and I can get into my PC. If I reinstall the driver though, it freezes, and then reboots when I start up the PC. The BIOS screen is messed up too; words are jumbled, and there are random symbols all over the place. Some black screens before startup are covered in blue or red dots. I really have no idea what is wrong and I could really use some help.

My Specs:
Windows 7 64-bit
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
4GB RAM
Intel Core2 Duo E6850 3.00GHz

If you need any other information, please let me know. I really appreciate any help.

Your display driver "xxxx" has stopped responding and has been disabled? Something computer-ish along those lines.

Anyways.

Your display drivers probably got heavily corrupted somewhere, I don't know how or why. Your GPU seems to be functioning just fine.

Use a program like driver-sweeper to completely erase all drivers, and try re-installing.