Question Did my motherboard cause my CPU to die?

Dec 6, 2020
So I recently upgraded my pc on friday. I changed my mobo to MSI B550 Gaming Plus and my CPU to Ryzen 7 3700x. I worked fine for the first day.
The second day my pc shutdown twice in the span of like 10 min. Afterwards the PC run fine.
Today (Sunday) it shutsdown again but this time I can no longer boot my PC.
The EZ Debug on my mobo flash CPU.
So I poped in another CPU whice is the 2700x and my pc work just fine. I didn't test the PC for long just to see if it boots.
But can it be that my mobo cause my CPU to fail or is it just a bad CPU?

Also the Spec:
MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Ryzen 7 3700x
MSI RTX 2060 Super Gaming X
PSU: Corsair CSM 550
RAM 2x8 Steel Patriot Viper 3200

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your above specs? Also, what were your specs prior to the motherboard and CPU swap? I'm leaning towards a dead PSU or a PSU that's failing to power everything in your system. See if you can source a donor PSU for your build that has at least 650W at the entire system's disposal that's reliably built.

Reactions: SteelStruck
Dec 6, 2020
The PSU is around 1.5 years old my Spec before is the same but with the i5 8400
But when I was running 2700x it worked eventhoug it has a higher TDP.

So I recently upgraded my pc on friday. I changed my mobo to MSI B550 Gaming Plus and my CPU to Ryzen 7 3700x. I worked fine for the first day.
The second day my pc shutdown twice in the span of like 10 min. Afterwards the PC run fine.
Today (Sunday) it shutsdown again but this time I can no longer boot my PC.
The EZ Debug on my mobo flash CPU.
So I poped in another CPU whice is the 2700x and my pc work just fine. I didn't test the PC for long just to see if it boots.
But can it be that my mobo cause my CPU to fail or is it just a bad CPU?

Also the Spec:
MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Ryzen 7 3700x
MSI RTX 2060 Super Gaming X
PSU: Corsair CSM 550
RAM 2x8 Steel Patriot Viper 3200
Mostly CPUs do not die easily.. it may be something other.. but from personal experience.. killing a cpu is very hard for a branded board

TRENDING THREADS