[SOLVED] Did my new PSU fry my Hard Drives?

Redeagle123

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Hi everyone,

So I decided to buy a new pc recently and today finally everything arrived.

I built in the parts without issues and moved over 2 HDDs (2/4tb WD) and 2 SSDs from my old build into the new one.
Finally the magical moment of turning on the pc for the first time arrived ... and nothing happend. No fan movement, no LEDs turned on, nothing

After checking all the cables without results, i tried using the PSU from my previous build. That worked fine and allowed me to boot the pc. However in the Bios, the system only recognized the two SSDs and neither of the HDDs.

I turned off the pc, removed all hard drives and connected them to my laptop via an external drive adapter. Both SSDs worked fine, both HDDs did not make any sound or vibration and Windows didn't recognize them either.

So did the new PSU just fry both hard drives? It seems that no other parts were affected, the graphics card and cpu seem to work fine, so does the mainboard. There were no smells, no smoke, nothing. The PC just did not do anything when the power button was pressed initially.

Anyone got an explanation what could have happened here?

My old PSU was a Corsair TX650M, the new one Enermax MaxTytan 800W. Both hard drives were barely older than a year.

Best,
Marcel

Solution
If you remove the SSDs from the PC and try only one of the two HDDs and after this the other one separately, and together, on different SATA outputs with different SATA cables, don't they appear in bios? I had something similar recently, but it was all fine. Also, do they appear in the boot options (I guess you have a separate F-key for just Boot Options/Boot Order instead of BIOS. Mine is F11). One other thing that comes to my mind is to see if something changes if you put an installation media with W10/W7 and try to see the questionable storage(s) via the installer.

After you've done this on the laptop, I wonder if what I wrote 'd show effect, but still it's something to check as I see the MaxTytan's name in Linus's PSU List in Tier...
If you remove the SSDs from the PC and try only one of the two HDDs and after this the other one separately, and together, on different SATA outputs with different SATA cables, don't they appear in bios? I had something similar recently, but it was all fine. Also, do they appear in the boot options (I guess you have a separate F-key for just Boot Options/Boot Order instead of BIOS. Mine is F11). One other thing that comes to my mind is to see if something changes if you put an installation media with W10/W7 and try to see the questionable storage(s) via the installer.

After you've done this on the laptop, I wonder if what I wrote 'd show effect, but still it's something to check as I see the MaxTytan's name in Linus's PSU List in Tier A (single rail) and it shouldn't be as bad as some cheapo trash that to fry things. It is a new, unused PSU. Still, not impossible, I guess.

Last edited:
Solution
Hi everyone,

So I decided to buy a new pc recently and today finally everything arrived.

I built in the parts without issues and moved over 2 HDDs (2/4tb WD) and 2 SSDs from my old build into the new one.
Finally the magical moment of turning on the pc for the first time arrived ... and nothing happend. No fan movement, no LEDs turned on, nothing

After checking all the cables without results, i tried using the PSU from my previous build. That worked fine and allowed me to boot the pc. However in the Bios, the system only recognized the two SSDs and neither of the HDDs.

I turned off the pc, removed all hard drives and connected them to my laptop via an external drive adapter. Both SSDs worked fine, both HDDs did not make any sound or vibration and Windows didn't recognize them either.

So did the new PSU just fry both hard drives? It seems that no other parts were affected, the graphics card and cpu seem to work fine, so does the mainboard. There were no smells, no smoke, nothing. The PC just did not do anything when the power button was pressed initially.

Anyone got an explanation what could have happened here?

My old PSU was a Corsair TX650M, the new one Enermax MaxTytan 800W. Both hard drives were barely older than a year.

Best,
Marcel

The drive adapter you used to test the drives, does it have an external power connector? If not you are not giving the platter drives enough power, they are not likely to run off just a single USB power cable.