[SOLVED] Did my power supply go bad?

Jan 6, 2021
So recently my PC stopped booting and couldn’t even make it into the BIOS. I’ve been a bit busy recently, but I finally got a chance to work on it today. I noticed that when I turned it all all the fans and LEDs on my mobo and gpu turned on but the fan on my power supply didn’t. I tried testing some other parts just to see what would happen and it ended up booting with one stick of RAM. Now, I’ve put all the RAM back in and it’s working perfectly, except for the fact that my power supply fan still isn’t running. Should I be concerned?

Solution
Some power supplies have a 0rpm mode for silent operation. They won't spin up until you put a decent load on it. Do you have such a model?

If you don't, then yes, it can be a problem: You can run into scenarios where the psu shuts off because it's running too hot, after which it'll refuse to power on until it has cooled down.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Some power supplies have a 0rpm mode for silent operation. They won't spin up until you put a decent load on it. Do you have such a model?

If you don't, then yes, it can be a problem: You can run into scenarios where the psu shuts off because it's running too hot, after which it'll refuse to power on until it has cooled down.

Solution