[SOLVED] Did my psu break my pc? And what is broke?

Apr 7, 2020
Hey guys first I’d like to say I’m not new to building computers. I’ve built several and added many components to mine and my friends. That being said I had my psu for about 6 years and thought it was time to get a new one. I’ve been trying to replace my pc components with led lights so I did that with my psu as well. When it came in I obviously unplugged the computer and made sure it was switched off. I plugged everything in including my two gpu pcie connections with the extra 2 pins. When I went to start it up only the psu and the motherboard lit up (I have LEDs on my gpu, system fans, motherboard, and ram). After a while of frustration I unplugged the 2 extra pcie pins from my gpu in both slots which made everything in my pc light up and I assumed work. So I plugged everything in (USBs and video cables). But the display said to plug in my gpu power. So I replugged in the two pins in both connectors and of course it didn’t work again. I even then tried to plug in my old psu and still no luck. Like I said I’m no stranger to computers but I really have no idea what I did wrong/what went wrong and need some help because I’m going to go crazy without my pc in this quarantine lol

Specs:
New psu: thermal take toughpower grand series 750w 80+ gold
Old psu: Corsair cx600m (I think it was also 80+gold)
Gpu: nvidia 1080 FTW
CPU: intel i7 7700k
RAM: 2x8gb Corsair vengeance ddr4
I also have 2 ssd and 1 hd
Thanks everyone for giving me some time

UPDATE: now the gpu lights up but after a while the fans stop spinning and no display. Everything lights up except the ram now and all other fans are working and stay on except the gpu fan

Last edited:
Solution
I’m not sure but looking at other people’s issues and resolutions I think it’s the motherboard but I’m not certain and I don’t want to spend money on one if it’s not.
Yes, that is the default issue. You can almost never be sure if the motherboard itself is the failed component.
Assuming you've done thing right, it does sound like a GPU issue.

I'm not unfamiliar to component goes faulty once the cabinet is opened for replacing something else. It was probably just waiting to happens.

Btw: have you make the interior and fans so that there is a good air flow inside ?

Apr 7, 2020
Assuming you've done thing right, it does sound like a GPU issue.

I'm not unfamiliar to component goes faulty once the cabinet is opened for replacing something else. It was probably just waiting to happens.

Btw: have you make the interior and fans so that there is a good air flow inside ?

yes I got a large tower so there was plenty of room for air flow and there are 4 fans, two on top blowing out and two in front blowing in. I also am waiting on liquid cooling to com in the mail but I now have other things to worry about lol. The weird thing is now the whole system stays on and lights up except the ram and there is still no display. I’m not sure but looking at other people’s issues and resolutions I think it’s the motherboard but I’m not certain and I don’t want to spend money on one if it’s not.