[SOLVED] Did my PSU kill my RX 570?

xVFallen_KingVx

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019
What the title says. I bought a secondhand RX 570 for my family's PC but it just stopped showing any display. It was working fine for a few days but it just suddenly died. Here is the PSU model: PS-6301-07. I thought it might be it since I don't have any other explanation. I used it as an external PSU if anybody wants to know. I doubt it has anything to do with it because I've used this trick with another PSU on another GPU.

Solution
Tried it in my PC. Same result.

So GPU is dead. Sorry for the bad news. I would point the cause to that PSU you used. Even if the PSU survived it's cheap and probably damaged the GPU and since the system did not see the irregularity in the current it did not stop the PSU from damaging your GPU.
Taken from a forum.

"The risks lie in you shorting the wrong pins or overtaxing the PSU. If you hotwire it on like this, there's nothing but the built-in safeguards protecting the system from overvoltage and overcurrent. Those are more often than not too slow to react so if you intentionally overstress the PSU, it'll fry and gladly take your GPU with it. You know, if it was plugged into a PC instead, the PC would keep tabs on the voltages and shut down if they go over. So yeah. It's safe, if you do it safely."

Plugging a very low quality 30 dollars PSU externally for that GPU was a mistake. 16amp 12V rail is horrible. It was overtaxed in those days and couldn't keep up. Probably died and took the GPU with it.

Always use good quality PSU. It doesn't have to be a high wattage PSU for a GPU but it does have to be a good one because your system cannot regulate the power of your GPU and protect it from anything from that external PSU.

xVFallen_KingVx

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019
Taken from a forum.

"The risks lie in you shorting the wrong pins or overtaxing the PSU. If you hotwire it on like this, there's nothing but the built-in safeguards protecting the system from overvoltage and overcurrent. Those are more often than not too slow to react so if you intentionally overstress the PSU, it'll fry and gladly take your GPU with it. You know, if it was plugged into a PC instead, the PC would keep tabs on the voltages and shut down if they go over. So yeah. It's safe, if you do it safely."

Plugging a very low quality 30 dollars PSU externally for that GPU was a mistake. 16amp 12V rail is horrible. It was overtaxed in those days and couldn't keep up. Probably died and took the GPU with it.

Always use good quality PSU. It doesn't have to be a high wattage PSU for a GPU but it does have to be a good one because your system cannot regulate the power of your GPU and protect it from anything from that external PSU.
It is 80+ Bronze. PSU still works fine too.

xVFallen_KingVx

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019
Tried it in my PC. Same result.
So GPU is dead. Sorry for the bad news. I would point the cause to that PSU you used. Even if the PSU survived it's cheap and probably damaged the GPU and since the system did not see the irregularity in the current it did not stop the PSU from damaging your GPU.
So I can't use the same PSU for another GPU even though it's 80+ Bronze? Maybe the GPU just died, and I might've shorted the wrong pins, but I doubt that since it worked for 3-4 days.

xVFallen_KingVx

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019
Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Considering you've already destroyed one GPU, the smart thing would be simply to buy a normal, new, quality 450W-550W PSU, and skip all this jury-rigged nonsense. You may have already destroyed a $30 PSU and a $120 GPU for lack of willingness to simply buy a proper, $70 PSU in the first place.

xVFallen_KingVx

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019
Considering you've already destroyed one GPU, the smart thing would be simply to buy a normal, new, quality 450W-550W PSU, and skip all this jury-rigged nonsense. You may have already destroyed a $30 PSU and a $120 GPU for lack of willingness to simply buy a proper, $70 PSU in the first place.
I would've done that but I can't, reason being that my family's computer is a HP Elite 8200 meaning that I can't replace the PSU. I would rather save up an extra 50$ than go through all this trouble and have a risk of killing an even more expensive GPU. Sorry for all the trouble.

Last edited:
What the title says. I bought a secondhand RX 570 for my family's PC but it just stopped showing any display. It was working fine for a few days but it just suddenly died. Here is the PSU model: PS-6301-07. I thought it might be it since I don't have any other explanation. I used it as an external PSU if anybody wants to know. I doubt it has anything to do with it because I've used this trick with another PSU on another GPU.
It is 80+ Bronze. PSU still works fine too.

FYI: It's just a cheap HP PSU.

"Bronze" is not a gauge of quality. It's simply a measurement of efficiency. Bronze means it's more efficient than a regular 80 PLUS, but not as efficient as "Silver". There's a lot of Bronze garbage out there, including your HP PSU.

And a PSU can continue to "work" and continue to kill hardware. If it's not providing clean power, it stresses and eventually kills your components down stream.

xVFallen_KingVx

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019
FYI: It's just a cheap HP PSU.

"Bronze" is not a gauge of quality. It's simply a measurement of efficiency. Bronze means it's more efficient than a regular 80 PLUS, but not as efficient as "Silver". There's a lot of Bronze garbage out there, including your HP PSU.

And a PSU can continue to "work" and continue to kill hardware. If it's not providing clean power, it stresses and eventually kills your components down stream.
Yeah I realized that a little earlier on today. What about the PSU I suggested after that?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No reason why you can't use a SFX psu in the HP Elite 8200. You'll just need adapters for the mains. Not unless it's the HP Elite 8200 Ultra Slim, which doesn't really have a psu as such, it's got transformers to change the voltage from the external power brick, similar to a laptop.

xVFallen_KingVx

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019
No reason why you can't use a SFX psu in the HP Elite 8200. You'll just need adapters for the mains. Not unless it's the HP Elite 8200 Ultra Slim, which doesn't really have a psu as such, it's got transformers to change the voltage from the external power brick, similar to a laptop.
I won't use an adapter, I'll just use the paperclip trick, it's worked fine for me before using another GPU and PSU.

I won't use an adapter, I'll just use the paperclip trick, it's worked fine for me before using another GPU and PSU.

How are you shutting down? Do you just leave the PC on without a sleep mode for 24/7 or do you pull the paper clip out every time you shut down (assuming the PC doesn't sleep in this scenario either).

If the PC goes to sleep or is turned off via the main PSU and the second PSU is still paper clipped, you're continuously feeding +12V through the board even when it's "off".

xVFallen_KingVx

Reputable
Oct 19, 2019
How are you shutting down? Do you just leave the PC on without a sleep mode for 24/7 or do you pull the paper clip out every time you shut down (assuming the PC doesn't sleep in this scenario either).

If the PC goes to sleep or is turned off via the main PSU and the second PSU is still paper clipped, you're continuously feeding +12V through the board even when it's "off".
Uh oh, I forgot to turn off the PSU after I shut off the computer. I might have found out what happened here, I think I used to turn off the PSU after I shut down the computer when I used my other GPU and PSU. It worked well for a month till I got the remaining parts to build my PC.

TRENDING THREADS