[SOLVED] Did my SSD just die?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2720853
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2720853

I was randomly noticing some errors in my MC server, and then tried to copy some plugins to it, only to receive an "device you are trying to copy to does not exist" error. Then I see that my SSD doesn't show up in my BIOS. In Device Manager it's just "Unknown device".

It's a Crucial MX500 SSD that I bought literally 2 months ago, brand new. Should it do this?? No SATA cables are plugged out, no power cables are plugged out, i reseated everything, replugged the SSD, same thing.

HWMonitor still detects the drive, and so does CrystalDiskInfo64.

9owIWG1.png

yD4TAqA.png

Disk management shows me this:

26Vpf4G.png

Diskpart shows this:

7kx3SlC.png

Disk 2 would be the "dead" SSD.

Should I initialize it as GPT? Will my data be wiped? How do I find out what partition table it was previously?

Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
D
You can try that.
Contact Crucial and see what they say.
I'm not sure if you've ever heard about something like this.

So I did diskpart clean on the drive WHILE in Windows... and it completed instantly. I was doubtful it worked, and surely enough, I still couldn't initialize the disk.

So I took my Windows USB, rebooted, the drive actually showed up in the BIOS, made my USB as the primary boot device. Started setup, went into cmd.

Did diskpart there, list disk.

Lo and behold, my SSD showed up, with the name I gave it, and the correct amount of free space.

I am in Windows now, and my SSD is back with all my files.

IaOKMlO.png

Apparently I still have 100% lifetime remaining on the drive...
D

Deleted member 2720853

@USAFRet I know I shouldn't be tagging you, and that I should have patience, but I'm panicking about this and would like some advice

D

Deleted member 2720853

If you initialize and format it, all data WILL be wiped.
But, that may be the only way forward.

This is why we preach backups.
I'm more worried about the SSD being dead than the data on it, just games. Guess I'll have to let it redownload like heck overnight.

What could have caused this?

D

Deleted member 2720853

Now I get "Incorrect Function" error trying to initialize the disk as either MBR or GPT.

Crucial Storage Executive shows this:

Pau0OOl.png

Is this drive dead?

D

Deleted member 2720853

You can try that.
Contact Crucial and see what they say.
I'm not sure if you've ever heard about something like this.

So I did diskpart clean on the drive WHILE in Windows... and it completed instantly. I was doubtful it worked, and surely enough, I still couldn't initialize the disk.

So I took my Windows USB, rebooted, the drive actually showed up in the BIOS, made my USB as the primary boot device. Started setup, went into cmd.

Did diskpart there, list disk.

Lo and behold, my SSD showed up, with the name I gave it, and the correct amount of free space.

I am in Windows now, and my SSD is back with all my files.

IaOKMlO.png

Apparently I still have 100% lifetime remaining on the drive.

jAVPZsg.png

HOWEVER, the drive is now classified as a "Basic data drive":

mYJ8PKB.png

Will this affect performance or am I good? The drive is GPT.

I don't wanna experience this ever again.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2720853

You're probably OK.

But again, components do actually die. A comprehensive backup routine is the One True Way to save your data.
This could just as easily have been an actual dead drive.
Yup, noted, making a backup of the more unrecoverable things as we speak, and will shove it into my monthly routine. Did an SSD speed test, 520 mb/s write, 465 mb/s read.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Personally, I just do full drive backups. Can't forget parts of it.
I would as well but 95% of the drive is Steam games which can be redownloaded easily, I don't mind that. I'm backing up what I know I'm gonna struggle to get in case the drive dies