Question Did my SSD just its self?

Jan 28, 2020
Hi Guys,

First time poster here. I've been an admirer of this site for many years but this is the first time I've felt the need to reach out to this community.

I started a new job today where, this afternoon, my laptop decided to die right in front of me. I've had it for 18 months or so this is pretty weird. It didnt turn on initially. The power button was totally unresponsive. After a minute or so it eventually came back to life (in that it booted up) but went straight to the bios.

Looking at the storage information on the bios, the SSD (which has Windows 10 loaded on) isn't showing. It makes me think the SSD has just died.

Everytime I powering it on I'm taken to the BIOS (I've made sure HD takes priority in the boot sequence).

Anyone got another opinion or way to trouble shoot this little problem?

Details below.

MSI GE63VR 7RE(Raider)-045UK, Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor, 15.6" Full HD 120Hz 3MS Screen, Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD + 1000GB HDD, Dedicated GeForce GTX 1060 6GB,

Many thanks,
Op

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,

First time poster here. I've been an admirer of this site for many years but this is the first time I've felt the need to reach out to this community.

I started a new job today where, this afternoon, my laptop decided to die right in front of me. I've had it for 18 months or so this is pretty weird. It didnt turn on initially. The power button was totally unresponsive. After a minute or so it eventually came back to life (in that it booted up) but went straight to the bios.

Looking at the storage information on the bios, the SSD (which has Windows 10 loaded on) isn't showing. It makes me think the SSD has just died.

Everytime I powering it on I'm taken to the BIOS (I've made sure HD takes priority in the boot sequence).

Anyone got another opinion or way to trouble shoot this little problem?

Details below.

MSI GE63VR 7RE(Raider)-045UK, Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor, 15.6" Full HD 120Hz 3MS Screen, Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD + 1000GB HDD, Dedicated GeForce GTX 1060 6GB,

Many thanks,
Op

Welcome to Toms hardware!

Also the SSD might have been disconnected. Get a screwdriver and check the SSD if it has fallen out. If it has, push it back in. If it hasn't, try describing what you were doing before it happened. It might give something

Jan 28, 2020
Welcome to Toms hardware!

Also the SSD might have been disconnected. Get a screwdriver and check the SSD if it has fallen out. If it has, push it back in. If it hasn't, try describing what you were doing before it happened. It might give something
I'll take it back tonight and take a screw driver to it. If it's not that I genuinely don't know what would have caused it. I was sat on Chrome and the whole thing just went black (screen, keyboard, power button etc). I initially thought it was because I wasn't plugged into a power source but I was. Stand by for an update!

Op

If you are going to open the case, not just the HDD/SSD access panel do yourself a favor and give the CPU cooler and if you have one the discrete GPU cooler a good cleaning. While I doubt this caused this shut down due to the drive missing in the BIOS this is a commonly overlooked issue with laptops. The coolers get dust bunny's living in there and cause the unit to shut down due to overheating. If you are there clean before closing it back up.

Reactions: livermoray
Jan 28, 2020
Hi Team,

I finally got into taking off the backplate. The SSD seemed secure. Regardless unscrewed it, took it out and put it back in securely. Turned on and same thing. PCIE slot is showing up empty. So I tried the second slot. Same thing. Empty.

So it looks like my SSD died. Unless anyone thinks anything different? Any thoughts would be great appreciated.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020
The answer is yes. Yes my SSD did its self.

I jumped on Amazon yesterday and bought myself a new 256gb stick for £40. Installed it at lunchtime and it's as good as new. Thankfully I did a back up last month.

I thought it was rare for SSD to fail like that though?

Op

Reactions: Quanticriver
Although this info is a bit late, i'm just going to drop this here for folks that google this issue;

If you can't get past bios, you are very likely to have a hdd/ssd issue

As the bios is being read from the chip, the first thing it does after bios and post is try to boot to OS , which is on your hdd/ssd if it can't find a hdd/ssd it will freeze and/or bootloop

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020
One thing I've noticed is that my machine is running much much quieter than it has in previous years with it's new drive. Before the fans were on non-stop causing quite a lot of noise. Does this mean the SSD was actually overheating!?