[SOLVED] Did overclocking damaged the motherboard?

CrestHD

Reputable
Feb 27, 2016
Hello,
I have a failing graphics card so I started digging in my computer and found something else too. I overclocked my Ryzen 7 1700 on MSI's B350M Mortar motherboard and noticed marks around the VRMs. As if the board started melting or something, it's just a little sticky to the touch compared to other surfaces on the motherboard and darker as well. Everything still seems to be working fine though. So did the overclocking overheat the VRMs so much the board almost started melting? I observed through hardware monitor that they hit around 86C when overclocked, didn't seem dangerous, hope I caught on early enough. I reset default settings so it runs cooler.

Reactions: bencos2018
Solution
Hello,
I have a failing graphics card so I started digging in my computer and found something else too. I overclocked my Ryzen 7 1700 on MSI's B350M Mortar motherboard and noticed marks around the VRMs. As if the board started melting or something, it's just a little sticky to the touch compared to other surfaces on the motherboard and darker as well. Everything still seems to be working fine though. So did the overclocking overheat the VRMs so much the board almost started melting? I observed through hardware monitor that they hit around 86C when overclocked, didn't seem dangerous, hope I caught on early enough. I reset default settings so it runs cooler.
86C is not that high for a VRM temperature. The FET's used are rated...
Hello,
86C is not that high for a VRM temperature. The FET's used are rated upwards of 125C and most VRM's won't start to self-protect (by throttling the CPU clock speed) until temperature gets into 105-115C range. You're fine.

The dark spots you noticed is probably from oil that leeches out of the thermal pads used between the FET's and the heatsink over time.

Solution