[SOLVED] Did overlocking my cpu mess with gpu?

Kane_9

Commendable
Aug 10, 2017
A little background: I had a old 2600k build that I was able to upgrade a while ago, and I decided to overclock to see how far it would go after ordering a hyper 212 evo, I got it at 4.5ghz stable on a little over 1.28v on air. Really good!

Now, I wanted to see if I could overclock the gpu and when I went to do so in msi afterburner, my screen showed white blocky artifacts all over the screen and froze going black and trying to recover, I had to reset it by turning it off and back on again when I go into windows, the message showed up "radeon wattman recovered from a serious error restored to defaults" I got scared to attempt to try it again because I'm not sure if my overclock messed up my gpu or the pcie slot is there any way to fix it or should I just leave it alone?

specs:
cpu: 2600k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v on hyper 212 black edition
ram: Gskill 8GB ddr3 4x2 9-9-9-24 @ 1600
mobo:Asus P8Z68-V GEN3
gpu: Sapphire Rx 570 8gb nitro +
Storage: 500gb samsung ssd
psu: corsair CXM 650w (grey label)

Solution
1400 core and 2000 memory is not a mild overclock for any gpu, those are insane overclocks. Unless you meant 140/200. That's a little more sane. I'd recommend watching a few videos on overclocking gpu. You usually want to do one at a time. Oc the core 50ish mhz at a time until it artifacts or crashes, then back it off to the last setting. Then do the same with memory. Baby steps. You'll probably also need to add some voltage at some point.

Edit: I'm assuming you pushed the clock to 1400/2000, not + 1400/2000. If so, just ignore the first sentence. I think I misread or misinterpreted. My bad.

Kane_9

Commendable
Aug 10, 2017
That depends on a couple important factors. Your PSU might not have been able to provide enough power and/or your GPU lost the silicon lottery.

Really? a 650w psu isn't enough for a 2600k and a rx 570? Also it only did it when I push the sliders in afterburner of the core clock 1400 and memory 2000 and clicked on the check mark no load or anything else because it blacked out.

Sorry if I come off rude but I'm trying to narrow it down to software or hardware related I can't trigger it again.

1400 core and 2000 memory is not a mild overclock for any gpu, those are insane overclocks. Unless you meant 140/200. That's a little more sane. I'd recommend watching a few videos on overclocking gpu. You usually want to do one at a time. Oc the core 50ish mhz at a time until it artifacts or crashes, then back it off to the last setting. Then do the same with memory. Baby steps. You'll probably also need to add some voltage at some point.

Edit: I'm assuming you pushed the clock to 1400/2000, not + 1400/2000. If so, just ignore the first sentence. I think I misread or misinterpreted. My bad.

Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
It's not uncommon to have limited headroom for overclocking on a GPU these days. Given that this is an 1168 MHz/1340MHz clocked part, going to a core clock of 1400 was likely over-aggressive. I doubt there's any damage to the GPU; if there was, you'll likely know it fairly quickly.