[SOLVED] Did someone upgrade from an overclocked 2500K to a Ryzen 5 3600?

no--name

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
Hey everyone,
I'm trying to decide if this upgrade worth FOR ME or it's better to wait to the next gen. I would like to read experiences from 2500K owners who upgraded to a R5 3600.
Most people would simply say "just do it, it's a 10 years old cpu, the extra performance you'll get is massive"...but then, if you never owned this beast you probably don't know what it's capable of.
I use my main setup (CPU @ 4.5GHz, Hyper 212 EVO, 16GB RAM, GTX1060 3GB) both for productivity and gaming (1080/60), I run most games on mid/high at stable 60FPS, cores usage is high tho, kinda bothers me the fan noise at that point.
Please note, here where I live an upgrade like this equals to the payment of 3 or 4 months of work so it's not an easy choice to make.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Solution
Well I can talk from experience, I upgreaded from a Core i5 3570 (non-k) with DDR3 1600MHz to a Ryzen 5 3600.

With the Core i5 3570 the games were "playable" kinda, SOTR and BF5 were the more demanding games back then when I did the change. The games played kinda good, but the 1% low, which is what for me and many others define the smoothness of gameplay was not soo good (AVG FPS was better, but AVG FPS does not tell the whole story).

The change to Ryzen 5 3600 was simple mind blowing, everything seems to run the same at first try, but then you start to notice, the system booted way faster, Windows was way more agile, 7-zip, mp3 encoding, video enocding (I only do very amateur stuff) was blazing fast, and gaming was without a doubt a...

no--name

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
If you're happy then simply ignore the talking heads and game on.

Well I'm not 100% happy, I wouldn't be considering the upgrade otherwise.
The 2500K is IMO the best desktop CPU ever made and by far the best piece of hardware I ever had, but 10 years passed, and the DDR3 limitation is also a problem.
I'm just trying to figure if this kind of upgrade is big enough to make it worth it. :D

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/619vs4040

I would suggest with games coming more better and more power hungry is to go with couple years old or new cpu to run games! Keep up with the times but you might well upgrade the GPU too if your thinking about 3600 but the Website link is up there might not be 100% but looks like the R5 3600 is much betterthen the 2500k!. But lets think of it this way because you need to upgrade motherboard and buy new cpu.

Last edited:
Well I can talk from experience, I upgreaded from a Core i5 3570 (non-k) with DDR3 1600MHz to a Ryzen 5 3600.

With the Core i5 3570 the games were "playable" kinda, SOTR and BF5 were the more demanding games back then when I did the change. The games played kinda good, but the 1% low, which is what for me and many others define the smoothness of gameplay was not soo good (AVG FPS was better, but AVG FPS does not tell the whole story).

The change to Ryzen 5 3600 was simple mind blowing, everything seems to run the same at first try, but then you start to notice, the system booted way faster, Windows was way more agile, 7-zip, mp3 encoding, video enocding (I only do very amateur stuff) was blazing fast, and gaming was without a doubt a huge change, loading times, AVG FPS, 1% low and .1% low was all up and better. In fact, I wrote this already many times, I ended up disabling AMDs PB (which is like Intel's Turbo Boost), cause it wasn't necesay for gaming 1080p/1440p@60Hz, that way I still have a way better system, that consumes way less energy and makes almost no noise (even when fully loaded), so yeah, the Ryzen 5 3600 at base frecuency, without any turbo algorithm, PBO nor AutoOC is rock solid for me.

The only thing I did with the new system was change the stock cooler, mainly because I have a sensitivy hearing, and the AMD stock cooler had a pitch noise that I couldn't stand. But the budget solution I got was pretty cheap and silent.

Now should you wait for the new CPU launching in september?, if you are not in a rush you should, because when they launch, most likely the Ryzen 5/7 3xxx should drop its price even further.

Oh and if you wana know for sure about CPUs and how they are, don't trust in the useless, intel influenced, userbenchmark, theres TomsHardware, Guru3D, LinusTechtips, Der8aur, Hardware Unboxed, Tech Deals, Gamer Nexus and a lot more real websites and youtube channels to get good info, userbenchamrk is a joke.

A nice video to see what the performance of a Ryzen 5 3600 compares too other high end CPUs, depending on the GPU you paired with (one of the many amazing reviews and videos out there):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS70S1Tnrjw

Cheers

Last edited:
Solution

WildCard999

Titan
You are the only one that can determine if it's worth it, other's may say it's worth it however they may not of needed to work 3-4 months to get it. If the system for the most part plays your games smoothly then I'd hold onto it and just keep saving up as there's going to be at least one more Ryzen AM4 gen (4th) before AMD moves onto a new socket so it gives you some more time. Since noise was a concern getting a quieter fan for that EVO 212 should be far cheaper then this upgrade and would allow the system to last a bit longer.

Reactions: RodroX
Well I'm not 100% happy, I wouldn't be considering the upgrade otherwise.
The 2500K is IMO the best desktop CPU ever made and by far the best piece of hardware I ever had, but 10 years passed, and the DDR3 limitation is also a problem.
I'm just trying to figure if this kind of upgrade is big enough to make it worth it. :D
You seem to be more confused about whether you need to upgrade or not. My point is: if you start your computer, open the games and enjoy playing them as much now as ever then don't upgrade. Simple.

But if you're upgrading because you want to keep up with popular or modern trends, what trend is it that motivates you. Multi-monitor? 4K at high FPS? or just glitzy RGB maybe? Maybe you're the creative type and super-fast image rendering is important.

Basically: what are you looking for.

Reactions: RodroX