PatrickPowers

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
CPU - Core i7 8700k
MB - Asus TUF Gaming Z370 PLus
BIOS Ver. 0407
OS - Windows 10

Hi there, so, a brief history of the situation:

Two days ago, I noticed my 8700k CPU was only running at 3.8 GHz even under load. I knew that the turbo was supposed to push it up to 4.7, so I asked around about how I might fix that. Someone over on the CPU forum suggested defaulting my BIOS settings since the turbo is a default feature of this CPU.

I went into my BIOS and first tried the "EZ Tuning Wizard"...save and restart resulted in BSOD.

Now I was pretty unsettled, so, I went back to BIOS and clicked "Default"....save and restart.

This resulted in sticking at the American Megatrends screen while the error: "CPU Fan Error" showed on screen (NOTE: Before my BIOS explorations yesterday, I would get this screen and error every time I booted up, but it would just flash it, skip over, and go into Windows...just in case that's helpful info).

I use a Corsair H100i for cooling and this was causing the error. So, after fiddling with the fan speeds etc In BIOS, I went into Monitor and set the CPU fan to "Ignore". Save and restart.

Now I get the TUF Gaming loge (never used to get that) and it goes right into Windows....All seems well. My CPU now runs at variable frequency (is that a good thing)? Sometimes up to 4.6GHz, somtimes down to 800....however, when under load, it is up at 4.3-4.7 consistently. This is a change from the rock solid 3.8 it used to run at.

So, I rendered out a video (9 hours) over night and set the PC to go to sleep after the video was finished. I got up this morning, wiggled the mouse to wake the PC up and the lights inside on my RAM and H100 and GPU all turned on, the fans on my H100 turned on, but the chassis fans did not. Not only that, the monitors did not wake up.....the computer just sat there, I clicked the mouse, turned on and off the monitors, un-plugged and re-plugged the monitors--nothing.

However, a hard shut down (holding down the power button) and then turning it all back on results in a normally running machine again.

SO - that's my situation. My Thought was to go back in and default everything again since maybe something I did in BIOS with the chassis fans is causing the issue...? However, I am largely flying blind in BIOS and so, before diving back in, I wanted to ask you all if anything stands out to you.

Thanks for any help! (and please let me know if you need any more relevant info from me).

PatrickPowers

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
ram running at the correct speed?

and about the cpu GHz. 4.7 is only when 1 cores is active

Oh...Hmm...Well, I'm confused. by your statement that 4.7 is when only one core is active....I'm monitoring via "Core Temp" and it shows me the freq of the highest core, so maybe that's the issue? All I want to do is get the CPU functioning in its default state where it turbo boosts as necessary....before it was remaining at 3.8 which seems to mean it was never boosting (?)

As far as RAM speed...I have 64GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2933 (PC4-23400) (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HKF559I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) and they're running under XMP profile "DDR4-3000" Is that the correct speed?