Did static electricity fry my motherboard?

alexpuffer22

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
1
0
510
0
I awoke my computer from sleep mode, and I inadvertently touched the end of a USB cable that was attached to the front of the PC. The end sparked, a result of the static electricity stored in my body from walking across the rug. The display froze for a few seconds, then everything died. I attempted to start the computer again but to no avail.

I tried different cords and outlets but nothing worked. The power supply works (I tried it on another PC), and I even tried another one. Still nothing. Finally, I disconnected everything but the power button and the CPU fan. Still nothing.

I know that static electricity can be harmful for a computer. So does this mean that I have to buy a new motherboard? Any and all help is appreciated.

I have an HP Omen 870-213w. Full specs in the link below.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05577988
 

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Moderator
It is certainly possible that you zapped some critical component. Try removing the video card and trying to boot the system using the integrated video adapter.

Don't feel too bad, this has happened to MANY of us at one time, or another.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts