[SOLVED] Did the iGPU in my 8700K die?

Nov 7, 2018
preceding:
I am an editor and I use Premier, therefore, to export videos I used Hardware Acceleration with the Intel iGPU (a compatibility between Adobe and Intel that considerably speeds up the process)
I had a 4.9 GHz OC on, cooled with Corsair H115i.
I also have an Nvidia GTX 1070 GPU, which is where I have the monitor attached.

Symptoms:
One day, doing an export, the PC rebooted.
It started normal (apparently) and I continued the export, only it was taking more than normal, because Premier did not detect hardware compatible with Hardware Acceleration. (did not detect iGPU in Windows)
Then I discovered that the CPU temperatures were extremely high (90 ° C to 100 ° C) and it was over throttling.

I immediately turned off the PC and started a deep cleaning process, changing the thermal paste, and resetting the entire system. high temperatures persisted.

I took the pc to a PC workshop. They made a "delit" of the CPU, and the thermal compound was replaced with liquid metal. Average temperatures dropped about 20ºC, but were still abnormally high.
In the process we discovered that he had lost the ability to render video on board; we did all the tests with the GTX 1070 GPU.

Once in the BIOS setup, when I activate the multi-GPU, and reboot, the GPU0 (Intel HD) does not appear in Windows, only the Nvidia GPU.
Until now I am still working at those temperature regimes (70º idle, 80ºC ~ 90ºC rendering) without OC (clocks at 4.3GHz base), the AIO cooler works well and keeps temperatures at bay; still without iGPU.

Still pending:
Put a CPU that is known to be healthy on my motherboard, and my "broken" CPU on a board that is known to be healthy, and see which one is the one that gives conflict.

Another observation:
The temperature differences between idle and full load are only about 20ºC. Which is inconsistent. I keep the theory that it is not a temperature problem, but a "reading" problem (can the BIOS, therefore Windows, misinterpret the information from the temperature sensors?), Or faulty sensors.
When I put the PC to maximum, and it indicates temperatures of 90ºC, the air that expels the radiator is not more hot than I remember it was before this problem.

My specific questions are the following:
Can the iGPU of an Intel 8700K "break"?
Could it be a BIOS issue that is misinterpreting the sensors?

Please Help.

Hardware:
Intel Core i7 8700K (base clock)
Asus Maximus X Code Z-370 motherboard
GXT 1070 Graphics Card
32GB RAM
Corsair H115i

Solution
Absolutely a fact that weird temperature readings could be apart of it. If the CPU is behaving abnormally ASIDE from the iGPU problem, then it is likely one of those rare instances where it actually IS the CPU. CPUs rarely fail unless somebody has abused them by pouring on the voltage or moderately too high voltage for a long time, or drops them, or bends the pins, but even without any of those things it DOES OCCASIONALLY happen that one is just bad or goes bad. Not very often, rarely, but sometimes.

If you purchased the CPU used, then the probability of getting one that's damaged goes up exponentially.

I understand, Havana. Understandable, still, "a shop" usually has a variety of recent and older generation hardware around for...
Yes, it can happen. It's not common but I've seen it before. It's also entirely possible that it's the portion of the motherboard that supports integrated graphics that has failed and honestly that would be the MUCH more probable cause. Of course, the only way to test that theory is to install another compatible Intel CPU that has integrated graphics and see if it works with that CPU or doesn't. If it doesn't, then it's the motherboard. If it does, then the iGPU on your 8700k has failed.

The least expensive compatible CPU that has integrated graphics for your platform would be this, so could be worth purchasing simply for the diagnostic factor.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Celeron G4920 3.2 GHz Dual-Core Processor ($63.44 @ B&H)
Total: $63.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-23 13:28 EST-0500

I'm actually pretty surprised that if you took it to a "PC work shop" they were not able to fully diagnose it as the CPU's internal graphics by putting their own 8th gen CPU with an iGPU in there to see if it works, and the fact that they didn't do that would pretty much cause me to lose any faith in their capabilities and knowledge because any tech or builder I know that does that for a living would either have those parts on hand for testing or would recommend it as a potential diagnostic process that could determine the problem if they didn't have the parts on hand. Seems they were not all that capable as problem solvers IMO.

Nov 7, 2018
Thank you very much for responding.

As for the PC Workshop, they didn't have an 8th generation motherboard or microprocessor at that time to do that test (I mean, Havana, you know).
Then came another lockdown in the city and that diagnosis was pending until now. hence I need a second opinion.

edit: by the way, is this possible scenario also covers the problem of anomalous temperatures?

Last edited:
Absolutely a fact that weird temperature readings could be apart of it. If the CPU is behaving abnormally ASIDE from the iGPU problem, then it is likely one of those rare instances where it actually IS the CPU. CPUs rarely fail unless somebody has abused them by pouring on the voltage or moderately too high voltage for a long time, or drops them, or bends the pins, but even without any of those things it DOES OCCASIONALLY happen that one is just bad or goes bad. Not very often, rarely, but sometimes.

If you purchased the CPU used, then the probability of getting one that's damaged goes up exponentially.

I understand, Havana. Understandable, still, "a shop" usually has a variety of recent and older generation hardware around for testing. At least some lower end stuff like Pentiums or whatever. But I get it.

I'd say if you're getting anomalous readings AND no video, then it's highly probable. It's still possible that it's something else, but it's a lot less likely to be anything other than the CPU or motherboard.

Solution