Did the latest R9 390(x) drivers improve performance?

Rexer

Distinguished
I heard a rumor.. and the rumor is newer driver updates from AMD boost the 390(x) gpu clock speeds. The new Radeon drivers give the Hawaii/Grenada cool, stable clock speeds at 1200 mhz. (which would benefit the R9 290's as well).
I can achieve overclocking to 1200mhz on my 390x but that speed is suspect to heating and crashing. Anyone hear any news about this? I hear tell I may have to go into the bios to make changes.

Solution
I've seen nothing to back this. I see people attempting to overclock to that level but not being able to pass it. Drivers CAN increase stability, but cards are sold as they're rated to clock at.
If you could reference where you saw it, otherwise I'd just debunk it and move on to something else.

The_Staplergun

Estimable
Jan 30, 2017
I've seen nothing to back this. I see people attempting to overclock to that level but not being able to pass it. Drivers CAN increase stability, but cards are sold as they're rated to clock at.
If you could reference where you saw it, otherwise I'd just debunk it and move on to something else.

Solution

Rexer

Distinguished

It got passed around the office and the message landed on my desk. I looked at this and thought , 'why would AMD release drivers to upstage Vega coming in a few months?' So I posted it here to see if anyone heard anything about this. Time to time I see modifications, altered computer components and programs with a uniqueness to cleverly draw more performance than the manufacturer originally intended. So I posted this to find more information. Otherwise, I firmly believe they squeezed the last bit of juice out of the Hawaii/Grenada chip.