[SOLVED] Did the OC work in my rx 5700?

dragnelus

Reputable
Nov 25, 2018
I used this guide: https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1956666

This are my settings now:
Jm8jSfW.png

BUt when I try to play overwatch on max settings the core clock never reached 1950, it sticks around 700 mhz but memory clock is 1750:

bB1PrPp.png

How do I know if it worked?

Solution
It's probably more to your advantage not to overclock but instead to undervolt. That keeps the temperature lower so it can attain a higher, and more importantly steadier, clock without actually raising the clock speed slider.

That's actually pretty easy... in the three dots button, there's a Reset Settings. Hit that to reset everything in Wattman to defaults and return to Automatic controls. Then hit the Automatic Undervolt button. Try that for a while, see if it cools the card down, reduces fan noise and makes more stable FPS in games.

And be sure to always compare actual FPS in benchmarks. Overclocking 5700's usually results in very little actual FPS improvement, and when it does it can come with stuttering as it pulls clock...
It's probably more to your advantage not to overclock but instead to undervolt. That keeps the temperature lower so it can attain a higher, and more importantly steadier, clock without actually raising the clock speed slider.

That's actually pretty easy... in the three dots button, there's a Reset Settings. Hit that to reset everything in Wattman to defaults and return to Automatic controls. Then hit the Automatic Undervolt button. Try that for a while, see if it cools the card down, reduces fan noise and makes more stable FPS in games.

And be sure to always compare actual FPS in benchmarks. Overclocking 5700's usually results in very little actual FPS improvement, and when it does it can come with stuttering as it pulls clock when it overheats. That's why I prefer trying to find the lowest stable voltage over high clocks.

Reactions: extreme_noob
Solution

This is true on many amd cards and even some nvidia.

You can try an overclock with an undervolt if you want. Temps seem really low.
You might be able to but also do some benching to see what it actually ends up benefitting in terms of actual FPS gains. Also play the game with a keen eye for stuttering from inconsistent frame rates as things are heating up again. Finding the balance can be tricky, and often all you end up getting is a couple more FPS. It just wasn't hardly worth it for mine, although I do note my card is a bit of a special case.

dragnelus

Reputable
Nov 25, 2018
Played black desert online yesterday with remastered settings and I didnt hear the fans and didnt got above 70c.

I use max 1950 core clock and undervolt.

Had so problems with fortnite but seemed like it was duo Enhanced Sync.

And needed to set a min clock.

The whole idea of manually tuning GPUs and CPUs is to find the lowest stable voltage for a given frequency. "Auto" tunings might achieve that to a degree, but they rarely get as close as you can with manual voltage settings.
Whether you decide to target a maximum frequency below/at/above stock is up to you.

Seems strange in the article you linked that they applied -80mV and only achieved -12W...

I haven't switched to Adrenalin 2020 drivers yet. Don't think I like the new WattMan layout. Only 3 frequencies to work with? No thanks.

Last edited: