Question Did the shop break my PC?

userintransit2

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
I'm no expert at all, but I've always looked after my own PC's ...never brokern anything and never had a computer fall over on me other than a major hardware failure. As much of an idiot as I am, I try to do my reading and then tackle problems myself and invariably solve them.

But, I'm teaching myself to video edit on an old machine ( Gigabyte 970a Ds3p , AMD FX 8350 4ghz and an 8gb Radeon RX 480 ) It's been fine though, and editing my 1080 footage has gone ok on Da Vinci Resolve and generally this PC has been the best and most stable I've ever had, never crashing, never freezing. BUT ..the fan was driving me crazy .. pumping like hell up and down. Mucked around with Speedfan but couldn't get it to 'follow the curve' . .. I'd also bought a USB3 bus off my local computer shop a while ago but had never managed to get the drivers to stick and it ran at USB2 speeds so I though ...'I'll take it to the shop'

I booked in for a water cooler to solve the fan noise problem and get them to sort the USB thing cos I'd given up.

Turned up ….they'd got in a cooler that didn't fit my case..so that was that....I though since I'm here I'll get them to do the one thing I've always been warned against doing myself ...updating the BIOS ( The BIOS was original F1)
Next thing ..I've got them on the phone saying my SSD has broked and blah blah...( SSD is WD and 6months old!) they had it all afternoon and said it had fallen over after doing the BIOS flash. and I'd need a new SSD!!!

It bothered me that it was ME (!) that has to suggest running WD diagnostics on it ...he called me back an hour later and said the result was a pass!!

Anyway....I got it back...now with no OS on it!!! thinking that I'd rather take this on myself since I no longer trusted them

The only way I could get an OS on to my PC was install Win 7 off an original MS disc, then upgrade to 10 with a USB media creator. Now .... suddenly I've got a nice new system. Hook up all my secondary drives and ....then Chrome starts playing up. 'Waiting for Cache' ...googling suggests it's a Chrome issue with SSD's ( Although it was fine before ) uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome ...no dice .

Then reralisedit's doing it in Opera and Edge..uninstalled Chrome altogether ....Edge and Opera still misbehaving and browser freezing ..

Start again ...reinstall Windows again ...just in case ...same results...not it's freezing ....close the broswer ...and now no program at all will open ...restarts brings it back to life then it deteriorates over about 15mins and becomes unsuseable.

Start swapping oput RAM .. same results with different sticks ( it did have a mixed set , a dual channel Corsaid 2x8gb which ran single channel at 8gb , the MB doesn't support single sticks in dula channel mode , didn't know that when I bought the stick.....and a Crucial single channel 8gb ) but either one in ...and same behaviour (using slot1 ...is that correct ?)

Run WD extended test ,twice .....SSD comes up good.

So ...Did the shop bork my 'puter with the BIOS flash...how do I fix it...if at all?

Once last thing ...I did notice last night that after swapping the RAM about, it wouldnt restart untill I'd switched off the PSU at the back and back on again ....could the PSU ( Corsair VS450 ) be failing

BTW ...I got it home and fitted a BeQuiet slim cooler which is soooo much quieter and the CPU sooooo much cooler

Lutfij

Titan
How on earth are you working with a VS450 with am AM3+ FX-8320? That being said, your thread's body is with a lot of text but you forgot to include your system specs. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Your CPU is a 125W TDP processor part, you should be looking at a cooler that can handle 250W at best or a 240mm AIO with a push/pull config. I'm not kidding, actually.

userintransit2

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
I'm not sure I understand ...You asking about my .."
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

I said what the CPU was in para 2 , and the MB and the GPU I discueessed the RAM later on, and you've read back to me my PSU ...? I don't get what I've not told you if you're reading the info back to me.

As for the cooler, the PC ran for 9 years with a smaller cooler..without ever shutting down, and with the same PSU so so it all worked fine till last week. Although the CPU seemed warm, it never hit the warning and now with the Slim Rock it's significantly cooler. When I have had it working I've deliberately given it CPU intensive tasks and it rarely peaks 50degres. I'm watchinmg Speedfan as I work and the freezes happen with the core at 18c...so the freeze isn't temp related?

Like I say, I already said what the CPU ( you read it back to me ) , MB ( in para 2 ) , RAM,SSD ( WD ) ,PSU ( you read that back to me to ) and GPU ( also given in the text )... I don't know what else to tell?

As for the PSU/cooler combo... it's driven this PC happily in the hands of a hard gaming teenager for ten years till I inherited so it must be up to task OR WAS? Do PSU's go undervoltage as they age ? ...it edited video using Da Vinci Resolve , rendering 4K video, with a browser and Adobe Media Encoder open till last week??? now it keels over at the slightest task, so, unless there's a hardware failure beyong the SSD or RAM which both seem to work...then the only other thing that's changed is the flashing of the BIOS. My point is, it was satisfactory to my needs until last week. Something changed dramatically, either flashing the BIOS? a coincidental hardware fault that doesn't appear to be SSD or RAM ...or I made a mess of the reinstall...twice?

Last edited: