Did the website developer for the new Tomshardware.com base it on Anandtech.com?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Not so much based it on, but they all use the same software, and are all owned by Future Publishing.

I think most forums using Xenforo probably look similar. I know I have found a few not affiliated with Future.

geof2001

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
Whats so sad is that they keep making these changes to try to keep/raise readership and just assume that dwindling viewership is people naturally leaving overtime. If they would try a reset to the site oh say 7-8 years ago instead of going to mobile friendly UI's I think they'd bring back a lot of viewers. I don't know why they think a PC/Tech based readership wants their content in a mobile view. Sadly I'm removing this from my starting tabs after today.

Bye Tom's

Reactions: LB23

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Whats so sad is that they keep making these changes to try to keep/raise readership and just assume that dwindling viewership is people naturally leaving overtime. If they would try a reset to the site oh say 7-8 years ago instead of going to mobile friendly UI's I think they'd bring back a lot of viewers. I don't know why they think a PC/Tech based readership wants their content in a mobile view. Sadly I'm removing this from my starting tabs after today.

Bye Tom's

With 65 posts in 12 years I don't know how we will continue without your contributions. But alas, we will persevere in the face of adversity, maybe this new site design will help!

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
With 65 posts in 12 years I don't know how we will continue without your contributions. But alas, we will persevere in the face of adversity, maybe this new site design will help!

Attack the person not the content. He was referring to the website, not the forum and he has a valid point. We all have widescreen and ultra widescreen monitors and Tom's web page content is now skinnier instead of wider.

Reactions: LB23
The intent of websites isn't to "fill your screen". It's to provide content. If you don't like the content presentation, you are always welcome to voice your opinion but when doing so it is equally valid for others to share equally relevant contrary opinions. And, it's supposed to be attack the content not the person, not the other way around. You will be losing two points for getting that backwards. Please surrender your tech card at the door as you leave. Thanks. :)

D

Deleted member 14196

lol, current web design tools make it look like everyone is doing the same thing. and who cares? if it works, which it does then it's ok

this is all about people and their inability to change and their general dislike of change. In this universe Change is a constant so you had better get used to it.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Attack the person not the content. He was referring to the website, not the forum and he has a valid point. We all have widescreen and ultra widescreen monitors and Tom's web page content is now skinnier instead of wider.

Thanks I don't need to be informed of the rules here, its a joke, and while I am a moderator, I'm still just a member here.

I have an ultra widescreen monitor, I don't surf tom's or other sites on the whole screen, the idea of that is a ridiculous prospect. In fact rarely do I have something taking up the whole screen unless its a game or I'm doing something that benefits from the real estate (editing video for example).

If you don't like the site design, thats your prerogative, I think its fine others do too, but if you're going to make a post about how you're taking your ball and going home because you don't like how it looks, well I am going to laugh at you.

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
Thanks I don't need to be informed of the rules here, its a joke, and while I am a moderator, I'm still just a member here.

I have an ultra widescreen monitor, I don't surf tom's or other sites on the whole screen, the idea of that is a ridiculous prospect. In fact rarely do I have something taking up the whole screen unless its a game or I'm doing something that benefits from the real estate (editing video for example).

If you don't like the site design, thats your prerogative, I think its fine others do too, but if you're going to make a post about how you're taking your ball and going home because you don't like how it looks, well I am going to laugh at you.

I disagree, I have 3 widescreen monitors at work and further i don't want to resize everything all the time even with win + arrow keys. But is dynamic scaling of the width not possible?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I disagree, I have 3 widescreen monitors at work and further i don't want to resize everything all the time even with win + arrow keys. But is dynamic scaling of the width not possible?

It likely breaks the formatting somehow. The sizing and shape was a design decision and I would imagine they don't want it to scale as it wouldn't retain the look they want. A lot of companies do this with their sites, very few sites look good on a full screen browser. Its one of the reasons why I haven't used a browser full screen regularly on any high res or widescreen monitor for a long time.

TRENDING THREADS