Did Valve Redesign The Steam Controller Again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lutfij

Titan
iam2thecrowe,
I personally own two wired (xbox and razer) and 1 wireless xbox controllers and they are perfect for what I do, I'm also right handed but what threw me off was the two touch pads...I was amazed by the demo's and I wanted it bad.

Only time will tell how this will shape up ... :'(

I like the touch idea for the main controls. Sticks on the Xbox and other consoles are so clunky compared to a mouse. It seems like the touch pads on the Steam controller would give you more mouse-like precision. I will definitely pick one of these up once they are released if for nothing more than the science of it.

DokuroKM

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014
Any asymmetric design is total c**p AFAIC, this is why i hate XBox controllers (i'm left handed);
That is something I never understood. I'm left handed myself, as are some of my colleague. Only one of us actually uses the mouse with the left hand and even he hasn't a problem with the asymmetric layout of todays controller...

Can you describe what your problem is?

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I'm still confused by the product; it now has two touch-pads plus an analogue stick… why? If you need to put an analogue stick on then it implies the touch-pads aren't any good which sends a bit of a mixed message.

I'm also disappointed by the traditional button placement; since you're using your thumb tips to move it should be possible to place buttons below each touch-pad to be squeezed with the "heel" of your thumb, eliminating the need to lift your thumbs from the controls (with practice and the right engineering behind the buttons you may not even interrupt control at all). This could also let them enlarge the touch-pads.

I'd also like to see the triggers on controllers be the topmost of the front buttons (for use with index fingers) with other "shoulder" buttons lower down, ideally at least two on each side (as I can use my middle and ring fingers separately), or even three per side, as less common controls could still be used by moving a finger.

But yeah, a good controller shouldn't require you to lift you fingers/thumbs from controls to press other controls, except maybe for things like media and menu buttons of course.

The additional stick would likely control its own set of options like a D-pad on the 360 or One controller.

I definitely do like the idea about putting the trigger higher than the bumpers. Seems more practical. You could fire with your index finger on shooters and still have the middle finger ready with bumper/button option. Good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS