Did Windows 10 already install drivers for me?

Sehvin

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017
I have just built my first PC, and I thought that I would have to install drivers before using anything. However, I was immediately able to use the PC after installing Windows 10. The PC connected to the internet via WiFi as well. I have not manually installed any drivers yet. When I loaded a game, a Nvidia message popped up saying that I needed to install the drivers, but the game still played. I didn't actually go forward with the game, but I'm about to install the graphics card driver anyway.

Anyway, if the PC is working without any issues, do I need to install any additional drivers for the chipset, audio, lan, wifi, processor, or anything else? Please talk to me like I'm 7, because I am so new to all of this. Thanks.

Solution
Windows does come with standard drivers for components.
If you are lucky, your components should work without any issues.
I usually leave those standard drivers as they are, as long as they are working without issues.
For GPUs e.g. from nVidia , you must install the drivers.
Windows does come with standard drivers for components.
If you are lucky, your components should work without any issues.
I usually leave those standard drivers as they are, as long as they are working without issues.
For GPUs e.g. from nVidia , you must install the drivers.

Solution

Maarsch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
I had the same experience. I re-installed windows 10 and everything just ran.
Didn't have to install anything including graphics drivers.

My FPS did go up significantly when I did install the specific drivers though.
Although considering the standard drivers locked my fps to the 60 Hz of my monitor I don't know if the 60->115 fps represented the true increase in fps output.

If it works well enough, leave it alone.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

As others have said... Most drivers are installed during the Windows install. However, there may be a few drivers that Windows was unable to install... like stuff relating to your USB or CPU. You can always go to Device Manager to check if there are any YELLOW ICONS present. That will tell you if you have missing drivers. Also, bare in mind that Windows usually only installs the minimum driver... not the most efficient. So there might be specialized software packages that came with your motherboard that can only be install via the CD that came with the board.

TRENDING THREADS