Did XFX Really Build Seven RX 470 RS Graphics Cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Initial pricing will be a tad high regardless until supply catches up. But once things settle, at $179 this will be a good value for those on a tight budget and an interesting card to tinker with on the cheap - depending on the model. Some of the aftermarket models have poor cooling and power considerations, clearly aimed at maximizing profits. But some others seem to be overclocking to 1.4+.

G

Did Tom's remove my comment? I asked simply who will buy a 470, when the 480 is $20 more, at the same ram level (4GB). And seven variants? It's incredible. I'm an AMD fanboi, I just bought the 480, which I get is less powerful than the cheapest nVidia card. I don't understand the 470, it's too close to the 480. I don't get the 460, I bet Iris pro gets better framerates.

cmi86

Distinguished
Yeah, I had a comment in this thread that is no longer here as well...

#1 Who in their right mind would buy a $200 aftermarket 470 4GB when you can spend $220 on the same exact 480 4GB model ?

#2 Why did it take AIB partners a month to announce 1, maybe 2 (most likely 1) aftermarket 480's when they were waiting in the wings to drop 2 to 7 RX 470 variants ?

My guess is that there are serious yield issues with full polaris 10 and AIB partners know this. This would explain the lack of investment and availability of 480 parts compared to the partially handicapped 470.

I also wondered about #2.

I'd like to see mnore ITX cards honestly, that's what I'm in the market for.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I hope they're better-built than my old XFX-branded HD 7870. The fans on that thing were so loud that vibrations literally traveled down the table to the floor, and I could hear it downstairs.

By comparison, and at nearly 100 W higher-TDP, I can't even hear my EVGA 980 Ti FTW from just outside the room, with the door open.

Status
Not open for further replies.