Did you know that?

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Holy crap! NVidia is buying 3Dfx (kinda)! Woah........... big news (happend just an hour ago too)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Grizely1 on 12/15/00 05:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Hehe.. my reaction myself. Off to lunch but had to check it out first. nvidia looks like it's sitting pretty tight for now again. Hopefully the lack of a future competitor won't trigger them sitting on their laurels so to speak.

"The answer is not in your hair."
"I'd rather jump in the lava than be fragged by you."

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You've got to be kidding. ATI is the Intel of Video chips. They are just looking for any excuse they can find to raise prices. If nVidia thinks that they can raise prices because of their purchase of 3DFX, ATI will raise their prices too. These two companies are not as price competitive as AMD and Intel. Their products tend to appeal to different audiences, with nVidia taking the gamers and ATI taking the multimedia enthusiast. ATI has been unable to steal the market from nVidia in gaming, but then, I don't believe they were completely focused in that area. Their latest attempt at gamers was to get the ones who also wanted to do multimedia apps, not the hardcore gamers who don't care about these things. 3DFX tried unsucessfuly to get both. The Radion is aimed at the MX, not the more profitable GTS. nVidia has no card as good at video aps as ATI's All in Wonder Radeon, and ATI has no card as good at games as the GTS. Until both companies compete directly with nearly identical products, they will always raise their prices to whatever the market will bear. And with no more 3DFX, the market may bear a little more from both types of users.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Voodoo 7 MX :)

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

<b><font color=red>LOL!</font color=red></b> we have no longer need to argue something like "GF2 GTS and VD5, which one is better ?"!!
anyway, hardcore 3dfx fan should feel upset at this moment...

<font color=orange>What do you think? :wink: </font color=orange>

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hehe it will be nice not arguing about Voodoo and GeForce cards ! LOL

As for you dude who said "ATI is the Intel of Video chips", can I ask you this: <i><b>WHERE THE [-peep-]ING HELL HAVE YOU BEEN THE LAST YEAR?!</b>/</i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's simple. ATI has been around longer than nVidia, produces an inferior product to nVidia, has a greater market share (True market share, including workstations and laptops), and charges whatever they wish. The fact that nVidia's reputation has surpassed ATI's is irrelevant. Maybe someday AMD's will surpass Intels. nVidia dethroned ATI the way AMD has TRIED to dethrone Intel. And ATI moves new products to the market slowly like Intel, while nVidia moves quickly like AMD. So the fact that nVidia has done a better job of overtaking the market than AMD has does not change the fact that ATI, like Intel, was the establishment, and nVidia, like AMD, began as the upstart with the better idea and competitive spirit.

G

all it just means, for me, gaming has come to an end. I stresssed I, not we, it's over for me, thats all

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I feel that when he said "ATI is the Intel of Video chips" that means that ATi is the best. Not referring to total market shares (ATi has the mobile market captured)