Didn't Unplug/Eject PCI card, now it won't work.

aladdin

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004

I have a Linksys 802.11G wireless notebook adapter (model number
WPC54G), and I have a Compaq Evo N800c notebook computer running Win2K
SP4. I have been using it successfully on a local WiFi network for
several weeks. The other day, I popped the PCI card out of the slot
without running through the Unplug or Eject Hardware wizard. Since
then, I can't get the card to see the router. I know that the signal
is still there, because I have coworkers who can get a signal. But I
can't get to the router, and the router (apparently) can't see me.

I'm assuming that this is all because I didn't go through the Unplug
or Eject Hardware wizard like I should have. But how can I fix it?
How can I get this to work with my laptop again?

Any/ all thoughts, comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

"Aladdin" <msk_30339@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a Linksys 802.11G wireless notebook adapter (model number
> WPC54G), and I have a Compaq Evo N800c notebook computer running Win2K
> SP4. I have been using it successfully on a local WiFi network for
> several weeks. The other day, I popped the PCI card out of the slot
> without running through the Unplug or Eject Hardware wizard. Since
> then, I can't get the card to see the router. I know that the signal
> is still there, because I have coworkers who can get a signal. But I
> can't get to the router, and the router (apparently) can't see me.
>
> I'm assuming that this is all because I didn't go through the Unplug
> or Eject Hardware wizard like I should have. But how can I fix it?
> How can I get this to work with my laptop again?
>
> Any/ all thoughts, comments and suggestions are welcome.
>
> Thanks

Aladdin,

Do you have another laptop you could try the card in? If it works in
another one, try reinstalling your card drivers in the original laptop.
That's the only thing I can think of at this time, short of getting another
card.

HTH,

Louie
Gainesville, FL, USa

---

msk_30339@yahoo.com (Aladdin) wrote in news:8316b135.0407300626.323f8128
@posting.google.com:

> I'm assuming that this is all because I didn't go through the Unplug
> or Eject Hardware wizard like I should have.

Probably not.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Aladdin <msk_30339@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a Linksys 802.11G wireless notebook adapter (model number
> WPC54G), and I have a Compaq Evo N800c notebook computer running Win2K
> SP4. I have been using it successfully on a local WiFi network for
> several weeks. The other day, I popped the PCI card out of the slot
> without running through the Unplug or Eject Hardware wizard. Since

Win2000 isn't happy when you pop the card out without stopping it first.
I have the same problem with Win2k and an Orinoco PCMCIA or DLink USB WiFi
Adapter. WinXP doesn't seem as constrained to the eject issue.

I have been able to recover use of the card by either disabling and
enabling the card in the Network Connections screen, or simply rebooting
the computer. Rebooting may have to be done twice, once with the card out,
once with the card in.

I doubt that the card has magically gone bad, as I have gone through this
several times with my Orinoco. I don't take it out anymore. It sticks out
the side a little, but I just leave it in, even in the carry case. The
only time I take it out is at airport security checkpoints.

If I want to disable it, I use the Orinoco Client "disable radio" option.

---

aladdin

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004

After a half dozen reboots, some with the card in, some with the card
out, it seems to be ok. I'm a little leery of leaving the card in
while the laptop is in the carrying case, but I'll give that a shot
for now (since I'm obviously too lazy to Unplug and Eject properly).

Thanks for your help.