Didn't work...

G

I installed the Detonator 12.41 drivers, using a VisionTek GeForce2 MX200, and I'm still getting graphics glitches in games. I've tested with Tribes 1 and Half-Life and both have a texture-flicker everywhere, little squares of textures flashing all over the screen. I've tried it in both OpenGL and D3D (for HL) with the same results.

I had a Voodoo3-2000 installed before the GF2mx, but I followed directions I'd found for getting rid of all 3dfx traces before installing the new card: using regedit several times to delete all instances of 3dfx, voodoo, and glide; deleting the 3dfx directory; deleting all mentions of 3dfx, glide, and voodoo in Find -> Files/Folders. Am I missing something, or is there some setting that will make the graphics look right...? *sigh* Nothing's ever easy, is it?

m19

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Just a thought .. force anti-aliasing .. will decrease performance but might kill the flickers

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>Never try to idiot proof anything..God will always make a better Idiot </b> </font color=blue>

G

Anti-aliasing didn't change anything, now it just looks prettier and slower. =\ I've fiddled with all sorts of settings, both in Display and the system's BIOS, including AGP aperture, trying all the checks in the OpenGL and D3D section, etc. Has anyone else ever gone from a Voodoo to a GeForce2 brand card and had these kinds of graphics problems? I'm thinking, if all else fails, it might not be a bad time to reformat since my last one was about 3 or 4 years ago. I don't know, I just figured there should be an easier solution than having to reinstall EVERYthing...

m19

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I found that many of the newer drivers from 10.00 on up cause texture flashing in air warrior 3d online .. this is a direct 3d game that uses a rather outdated engine compared to newer stuff.. the 6.50 official drivers work just fine .. you might consider trying them

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>Never try to idiot proof anything..God will always make a better Idiot </b> </font color=blue>

G

AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz (266) w/ HSF
Abit KT7A-RAID
256 MB PC133 ram
Win98 SE
VisionTek GeForce2 MX200 (AGP)
-Det 6.31 drivers
SB Live! (PCI)
2 WD harddrives
3com NIC (ISA)
2 case fans
2 case blowers
300W PSU

Someone on Planet Hardware mentioned that it sounded like a heat issue, but I was assured here that not having a fan on the close-to-reference VisonTek wouldn't be a problem, since it didn't come with one in the first place. Do you guys think slapping a fan on the card might solve the problem? I've done just about everything else I can think of, and have figured out that the glitches show up in any 3D apps: games, 3Dmark2001 tests, etc.

m19

G

I think heat is the issue: I took a lool inside the case and the card is running pretty hot. Only problem is, I don't see ANY holes around the nVidia chip for installing a fan! How can I cool it then? Heatsinks? I want to try and solve this tonight so I'm not really in a mail-order-and-wait kind of mood. I was thinking I could rig one of the PCI metal covers with a big fan attached and have that blowing directly onto the card, does anyone think that'd work? I'm really at a loss here; how am I supposed to cool the thing if there's no holes to install a fan?!

Crap...now I noticed down on the "No fan on my MX?!" post that people are saying you don't need a fan to run a GFmx. So why are these problems happening?? I just don't get this.

m19

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Morgan19 on 06/23/01 06:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
If you haven't reformated in a few years, now would be a great time to do it. True it will take you a good 3-6 hours to reconfigure everything but in the long run, you will probably see a very nice boost in preformance in games and other software. Make sure that you have all the latest drivers and have backed up all critical files. Oh, and be glad that everything is on CD and not Floppy, were at at an earlier age, reformating would take you a week instead of an afternoon.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
sounds like the problem i was having when i overclocked my geforce 2 gts to 220/440 core and mem, the ram overheated a bit and caused a bit of flickers but its all good now... only overclocking it slightly now... runs sweetly...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

TRENDING THREADS