Diection of airflow - ATI 9700 Pro

To assist the cooling of my AIW 9700Pro, I need to find out the
direction of the airflow on the ATI cooling fan - is it blowing cool
air into the chip or extracting air hot air from the chip?
Also the Thermaltake CPU cooling Volcano 7+, is it extrating from the
CPU ?
This is to help me position a PCI cooling fan correctly.
Thanks.

They should be both blowing air.

Spence

"Malam" <malamilia@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> To assist the cooling of my AIW 9700Pro, I need to find out the
> direction of the airflow on the ATI cooling fan - is it blowing cool
> air into the chip or extracting air hot air from the chip?
> Also the Thermaltake CPU cooling Volcano 7+, is it extrating from the
> CPU ?
> This is to help me position a PCI cooling fan correctly.
> Thanks.

Gman

In article <jpc1d054tgdh17m76dvmkun30k40j4vr2p@4ax.com>, Malam <malamilia@hotmail.com> wrote:
>To assist the cooling of my AIW 9700Pro, I need to find out the
>direction of the airflow on the ATI cooling fan - is it blowing cool
>air into the chip or extracting air hot air from the chip?
>Also the Thermaltake CPU cooling Volcano 7+, is it extrating from the
>CPU ?
> This is to help me position a PCI cooling fan correctly.
>Thanks.
Cooling fans should always blow INTO the heatsink.

Would it not be quicker just to hold a short thread of cotton in front of the heatsink and see which
way it bends?

No?!

Sheesh.

Malam wrote:
> To assist the cooling of my AIW 9700Pro, I need to find out the
> direction of the airflow on the ATI cooling fan - is it blowing cool
> air into the chip or extracting air hot air from the chip?
> Also the Thermaltake CPU cooling Volcano 7+, is it extrating from the
> CPU ?
> This is to help me position a PCI cooling fan correctly.
> Thanks.

Except there's almost no space under the fan on most video cards. Even if
the fan were blowing toward the card, the reflected airflow may be enough to
repell the cotton.

"Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message
> Would it not be quicker just to hold a short thread of cotton in front of
the heatsink and see
> which way it bends?
>
> No?!
>
> Sheesh.

Not according to this article:

http://www.anandtech.com/cooling/showdoc.html?i=1571&p=3

Low-profile heat sinks for 1U rackmount servers tend to perform better when
the fan exhausts from the heat sink. A video card's heat sink has even less
elbow room than a 1U CPU sink, so the answer is definitely not cut-and-dry.

"GMAN" <glenzabr@xmission.com> wrote in message

> Cooling fans should always blow INTO the heatsink.

I think I've resolved the issue somewhat by installing two case fans
at the front drawing air into the case and two at the rear drawing
out of the case. I replaced the fan that came with ATI AIW 9700Pro
with a Vantec Iceberq4. My CPU is running at 30C and the Motherboard
is at 24C at idle.

I appreciate your comments gentlemen.

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 00:11:11 GMT, "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Except there's almost no space under the fan on most video cards. Even if
>the fan were blowing toward the card, the reflected airflow may be enough to
>repell the cotton.

TRENDING THREADS