[SOLVED] Diff Between External and Internal For Gaming

Aug 8, 2015
hello im planning to buy external hdd for games and does the performance of external and internal diff from each other cause i want external for saving games and playing them i dont want to buy both thanks... because i will copy paste games so i dont want my internal hdd to be brought thanks

Solution
In some cases, the difference is quite noticeable. Most external drives aren't chosen for speed, but for reliability, low power requirements, and lower cost. So, while you can probably get the same drives (inside the external cases) and install them internally, I'd recommend going for faster drives overall. My experience so far with my Toshiba X series drive is it's a fast HDD.

Also, if you're installing games on an external drive, any PC you plan on playing it on will require an install, plus the inconvenience of it not being there when the drive isn't plugged in... The inconvenience is there also if you just use the external drive for game saves. (Not all games will let you say where you want to save game saves, not even in their...
it depends on what kind of technology you have in your PC and what external drives you have available to you. if you have a computer with USB 3.0 or thunderbolt ports and you are able to find an external drive with the same . if you only have access to a USB 2.0 drive then the tranfur speed will be slow and it will take forever for a game to load

i am assuming your PC already has at least one internal drive correct?

In some cases, the difference is quite noticeable. Most external drives aren't chosen for speed, but for reliability, low power requirements, and lower cost. So, while you can probably get the same drives (inside the external cases) and install them internally, I'd recommend going for faster drives overall. My experience so far with my Toshiba X series drive is it's a fast HDD.

Also, if you're installing games on an external drive, any PC you plan on playing it on will require an install, plus the inconvenience of it not being there when the drive isn't plugged in... The inconvenience is there also if you just use the external drive for game saves. (Not all games will let you say where you want to save game saves, not even in their config files.... in fact the vast majority won't.)

Now if you're just going to copy-paste saves (once you figure out where they are)... that will work easier. Copy-paste game executables? That's a chore in itself... not to mention the install issue most games will have.

Solution