[SOLVED] Difference between adjusting the physical volume knob and the windows sound settings?

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
I am using this gooseneck microphone called the JV-601PRO.

What is the difference between using the physical knob and changing the volume levels in the windows sound settings?

I would think the knob changes the microphone gain itself which is how sensitive it is to picking up volume, and digital gain is affected by the volume level setting:

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Though on my laptop microphone there's also this thing called microphone boost which is supposedly a digital gain increase setting, so I'm not sure what does what.

On a side note, does anyone know why the microphone might have been set at 97 in the sound settings rather than 100?

Does going at 100 maybe distort sound that comes through like plosives?

Solution
The physical knob adjusts the gain while the setting in Windows scales the signal coming into the mic. So if you have it at 50, it should scale the signal by 50%.

The microphone boost setting likely amplifies the signal digitally, but has a fall-off factor so it only boosts lower amplitude signals and not clip the signal.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Knob - there shouldn't be one. Physical volume switches like on keyboards do same thing as reducing volume via taskbar. Could be differences on hardware based on if its got its own drivers.

Microphone boost - This feature allows you to boost the microphone levels while using voice-over-IP services such as Skype, Discord. etc. Microphone boost is a Windows setting that will boost the volume in order to recover audio quality.
source

no idea about the 97%.

The physical knob adjusts the gain while the setting in Windows scales the signal coming into the mic. So if you have it at 50, it should scale the signal by 50%.

The microphone boost setting likely amplifies the signal digitally, but has a fall-off factor so it only boosts lower amplitude signals and not clip the signal.

Reactions: ShangWang
Solution