Question Difference between "attainable rate" and "rate"?

May 22, 2019
Hi all,

Always seen this in my modem router settings, where it has an attainable rate and an actual rate. Wanted to know what it actually means.
VFPqzT1.png

I pay for a 50/20 plan (50mbps download, 20mbps upload). Network infrastructure in my area is FTTN (Fibre To The Node), where fibre optic cables run to a node about 400m from my house, and the existing copper network carries the internet to my house.

In speed tests, I normally get around 47/18. Shouldn't I be getting the Rate listed in the image, and what is the point of the Attainable Rate? Why aren't I getting those speeds?

Just want to get an understanding on these two rate values and their relation to my internet speeds.

Thanks in advance.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
attainable speeds are under ideal conditions with low node traffic and are mostly for marketing. "you pay for 50 but some people can get 60, aren't we a good ISP?"

ideal conditions, try again in the dead of night when the rest of the node is asleep or otherwise not browsing and you might even get faster. many ISP's I know of oversell each node, so when the neighbors are using it the speeds drop below what you pay for.