Question Difference between brands of graphics cards

lukemurtagh1995

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am currently thinking about upgrading my GPU and I am looking at both of these:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-34e-ms.html

They are both RTX 2080Tis but one is an MSI Gaming X Trio and the other is an ASUS ROG Strix OC one. My question is this: what is the difference between them? They appear to have the same statistics, although the ASUS is slightly larger, taking up three slots compared to the 2.5 slots taken up by the MSI one. Is ASUS simply considered the better and more valuable brand? Granted there is only £50 difference but I don’t see a point in spending more money than needed, especially on an already expensive card. I’m not at all bothered by RGB lighting so that won’t really impact my decision one way or their other.

Thanks for reading!

The MSI model is having a slightly higher BOOST clock speed, "Boost Clock: 1755MHz". The ASUS model is having a GPU boost clock of 1665 MHz. The MSI model would be slightly faster by some margin, but I think the performance gain would be negligible, in some of the games, if not all.

Also, the MSI model requires 2x 8-Pin, 1x 6-Pin PCIe power connectors. ASUS one requires 2 8-PIN.

Reactions: lukemurtagh1995

lukemurtagh1995

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
The MSI model is having a slightly higher BOOST clock speed, "Boost Clock: 1755MHz". The ASUS model is having a GPU boost clock of 1665 MHz. The MSI model would be slightly faster by some margin, but I think the performance gain would be negligible, in some of the games, if not all.

Ah, I don’t know how I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out. Is there anything about the ASUS that would justify an extra £50, or not? I realise that’s a subjective issue, but I may as well get the MSI one if it’s cheaper.
Also, I noticed the recommended PSU is 650w. The current PSU I have is 650w and my 1080 runs fine. I have, however, overclocked my i7-9700k to 4.7Ghz. Would it be wise to still run such an overclock whilst also having a 2080Ti, or should I get a more powerful PSU?

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Ah, I don’t know how I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out. Is there anything about the ASUS that would justify an extra £50, or not? I realise that’s a subjective issue, but I may as well get the MSI one if it’s cheaper.
Also, I noticed the recommended PSU is 650w. The current PSU I have is 650w and my 1080 runs fine. I have, however, overclocked my i7-9700k to 4.7Ghz. Would it be wise to still run such an overclock whilst also having a 2080Ti, or should I get a more powerful PSU?

Regarding ASUS, I think that's just a brand name/loyalty, which has always been priced a bit higher than other brands, though I'm not sure why ASUS cards are expensive. I would guess, the BUILD QUALITY might be top-notch. But that doesn't mean, other brands are inferior in quality though.

Which POWER SUPPLY model is that ?? List the make/model number. If that's a high quality unit, then you should be fine, though if you are into OC and stuff like that, then you might sometimes need some extra headroom on the PSU.

Last edited:

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I can't speak to the MSI 2080 Ti.
But I do have an MSI 1660 Ti Armor OC and the build quality seems to be very good, it OC's very well (2070 MHz) with Afterburner and runs very cool (maxes out around 56C after 3-4 hours of gaming).

lukemurtagh1995

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
I
Regarding ASUS, I think that's just a brand name, which has always been priced a bit higher than other brands, though I'm not sure why ASUS cards are expensive. I would guess, the BUILD QUALITY might be top-notch. But that doesn't mean, other brands are inferior in quality though.

Which POWER SUPPLY model is that ?? List the make/model number. If that's a high quality unit, then you should be fine, though if you are into OC and stuff like that, then you might sometimes need some extra headroom on the PSU.

It is a Corsair RMX 650w one. The 2018 model, not the launch model which I heard wasn’t very good. I believe it is a tier a PSU although I might be wrong.

lukemurtagh1995

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
I can't speak to the MSI 2080 Ti.
But I do have an MSI 1660 Ti Armor OC and the build quality seems to be very good, it OC's very well (2070 MHz) with Afterburner and runs very cool (maxes out around 56C after 3-4 hours of gaming).

To be honest I was very surprised when I looked at reviews of the MSI I am thinking of getting. It actually runs cooler than my current 1080. Plus my case, which is a Corsair 780T, is optimised for air cooling, so hopefully I won’t have any issues with temps.

Dec 10, 2018
All Asus things are like 5-25% more for no apparent reason that's the problem with Asus

Guru3d has very indepth reviews for both models
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-gaming-x-trio-review,1.html

But there are faster cards
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_rtx_2080_ti_lightning_z_review,32.html

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999

TRENDING THREADS