Difference between Cavier Blue, Red, Green, Black & Purple

I think I'm going to get another drive and I was looking at Western Digital. The thing is they have 5 different colors representing 5 different classes of drives. What is the difference really? As an example lets say you have a 1TB Cavier Black and a 1TB Cavier Blue. Both have all the same specs so whats the difference. Same with any of the other colors?

Solution
I don't think the difference is in the components quality. It's more about features and needs. WD caviar series is the 'top of the line' hdd from western digital. This is why black, blue and green are around the same price (~70$).

williamcummins

Reputable
May 9, 2014
The main difference will be the disk speed. For example, the caviar BLACK is a performance focused hard drive. It will run at 7200rpm. Caviar GREEN is a power saving focused hard drive and will run at lower speed but also lower power (wattage).

Higher disk rotation speed (rotation per minute, rpm) will give you faster file transfer.

I guess that is kind of what I was getting at. I saw the speed difference but I was wondering if something like Cavier Black (for performance) and Cavier Red (for enterprise) has better parts and quality control over something like a Cavier Purple and Cavier Blue.

williamcummins

Reputable
May 9, 2014
I don't think the difference is in the components quality. It's more about features and needs. WD caviar series is the 'top of the line' hdd from western digital. This is why black, blue and green are around the same price (~70$).

Solution

umpire463

Commendable
May 12, 2016

Sorry I'm so late to the party but I saw this and thought it is important to know the details: The WD BLACK series of Hard Drives is made with dual bearings (top and bottom) of the spindle which reduces wobble and extends the life of the drive. That's why the warranty is 5 years on these drives and the MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure Rating) is about double that of Green series drive etc. WD BLACK drives are well worth the money

Jose Luis_2

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016

That's not actually true, BLACK is indeed the one with the fastest RPM but the maximun transfer speed is 150mbps as opposed to 6gbps from RED and PURPLE

randomizer

Champion

There is no maximum transfer speed for each product line. The maximum transfer speed is whatever the individual drive can manage. You seem to be mixing up bus data rates with who knows what else.

TRENDING THREADS