Question Difference between CPUs?

tannersanders7

Prominent
May 24, 2018
I'm looking at building a new computer and am looking at either the i7-8700k or the i9-9900k, i've had my eyes on the i9 but am wondering how much of a difference the cores and threads will make as they're only the difference between 3.6ghz and 3.7ghz. Mostly what I do is gaming and streaming, I don't do a lot of heavy video editing or photo editing or anything if that helps. I currently run a i7-7700k and the reason I want to upgrade is because I know certain games can be kinda CPU heavy at certain times.

Personally I would spend the extra and go the 9900K or the 9700K at the very least. The 9900K for gaming is about as good as it gets and on the streaming side with 8 cores and 16 threads you will have absolutely no issues and as importantly the 9900K will see you through a fair few years before you next upgrade and always buy the best you can with the budget you have available.

Match it to a good Z390 motherboard with a decent VRM setup like the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro on the low end or the Aorus Ultra which both have very strong 12 phase VRM's and It will happily overclock to 4.9GHz/5GHz with comparative ease provided you have good cooling...for gaming it is a beast...

tannersanders7

Prominent
May 24, 2018
Personally I would spend the extra and go the 9900K or the 9700K at the very least. The 9900K for gaming is about as good as it gets and on the streaming side with 8 cores and 16 threads you will have absolutely no issues and as importantly the 9900K will see you through a fair few years before you next upgrade and always buy the best you can with the budget you have available.

Match it to a good Z390 motherboard with a decent VRM setup like the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro on the low end or the Aorus Ultra which both have very strong 12 phase VRM's and It will happily overclock to 4.9GHz/5GHz with comparative ease provided you have good cooling...for gaming it is a beast...
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119151 this is the motherboard i've had picked out for quite a while, I never planned on overclocking anything but am open to the idea, unsure of what vrm is though as i've never dug down into the specifics of everything in a computer build, mostly i've just made sure everything is compatible.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With what the 9700k/9900k are capable of, there's really no need at all to OC them, that's mostly just a hobby/challenge, a 'because I can' thing.

The newegg link goes to the sign-in page.

It's not just a difference in speeds, and turbo changes things even more, both the 9th gen can hit 5GHz out of the box, but Instructions Per Clock (IPC). The 9th gen can do more instructions in each time period, clock, and has more clocks per second than 8th gen. Couple that with the bandwidth capabilities of a full core vrs a hyperthreaded shared core and many modern games show significant improvement in fps.

Theres only 2 things bad I'll say about the 9900k, power and heat. It craves power and does require a better level mobo than what many think is decent. It doesn't follow any normal psu requirements for a gpu, but basically needs an additional 100w added. A simple locked core OC at max turbo of 5.0GHz with no other changes, will produce upto 250w. Which brings up heat. 250w is well beyond the capabilities of almost every air cooler, and right at the 'stock cooler' level of the biggest air or 240mm AIOs. So you can get away with the biggest air dual towers, if just running stock, but generally a 280mm AIO is considered minimum safe cooling ability.

The 9900K/KS isn't a cpu you can add later to a build, something to aspire to upgrade to, it's the kind of cpu that absolutely requires the pc built around it instead. Which doesn't really happen often when the word budget is involved.

9700k or Ryzen 3700x, either will suit.

tannersanders7

Prominent
May 24, 2018
With what the 9700k/9900k are capable of, there's really no need at all to OC them, that's mostly just a hobby/challenge, a 'because I can' thing.

The newegg link goes to the sign-in page.

It's not just a difference in speeds, and turbo changes things even more, both the 9th gen can hit 5GHz out of the box, but Instructions Per Clock (IPC). The 9th gen can do more instructions in each time period, clock, and has more clocks per second than 8th gen. Couple that with the bandwidth capabilities of a full core vrs a hyperthreaded shared core and many modern games show significant improvement in fps.

Theres only 2 things bad I'll say about the 9900k, power and heat. It craves power and does require a better level mobo than what many think is decent. It doesn't follow any normal psu requirements for a gpu, but basically needs an additional 100w added. A simple locked core OC at max turbo of 5.0GHz with no other changes, will produce upto 250w. Which brings up heat. 250w is well beyond the capabilities of almost every air cooler, and right at the 'stock cooler' level of the biggest air or 240mm AIOs. So you can get away with the biggest air dual towers, if just running stock, but generally a 280mm AIO is considered minimum safe cooling ability.

The 9900K/KS isn't a cpu you can add later to a build, something to aspire to upgrade to, it's the kind of cpu that absolutely requires the pc built around it instead. Which doesn't really happen often when the word budget is involved.

9700k or Ryzen 3700x, either will suit.
I wouldn't really say I'm building the whole computer around the cpu but I'm definitely keeping it in mind, in terms of power and heat I'm putting in a 1000w psu for everything and a corsair h150i the 360mm one on the cpu along with fans on top to pull air out and 1 in the back of the case to also pull air out, and again idk about overclocking it as high as it can go or at all so I don't think heat would be a massive issue but since I don't know anything about overclocking idk if I'll be getting the most out of the cpu if it would make a big difference or not. Also the motherboard I posted was a asus rog strix z390-e, idk why the link isn't working but I'm not planning a budget build rather I just want to build a powerful computer

Last edited: