[SOLVED] Difference between different RAM kits

Little_Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2014
A few years ago I bought a kit of 2 X 8GB 3000 MHz, TeamForce Vulcan Z red ram. Now I want to add another kit of 3000/3200 (I know the speed will be reduced to 3000) but I can only find this kit with a grey heat spreader. I know DDR4 can be quite temperamental and for the best chance of no problems etc. with 2 kits is for the speed, memory chips and timings to coincide. I'm not sure if this will make a difference as I do not know the underlying specs (what memory chips they used etc.). Do you happen to know this?

Solution
A few years ago...

Didn't want to quote the long whole post.

What you need to be looking at specifically is what JEDEC profiles the new RAM supports. Not all RAM has all fallback speeds. For example, the new RAM may not fall back to 3000 but rather 2800 or 2666 which will drop your other RAM to the slower speed as well. Also it's best to make sure the Rank is the same.

Either post the RAM your looking at or look up the data sheet. Also post a link to your current RAMs data sheet

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
A few years ago...

Didn't want to quote the long whole post.

What you need to be looking at specifically is what JEDEC profiles the new RAM supports. Not all RAM has all fallback speeds. For example, the new RAM may not fall back to 3000 but rather 2800 or 2666 which will drop your other RAM to the slower speed as well. Also it's best to make sure the Rank is the same.

Either post the RAM your looking at or look up the data sheet. Also post a link to your current RAMs data sheet

Solution

TRENDING THREADS